Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by Pauline
Chicken and sausage jambalaya is one of those quintessential Cajun foods. it’s a dish that offers you a lot of versatility and options, as you can add in so many different foods to it. The variety it offers means you can change up the recipe in a lot of different ways to suit your tastes.
I may use a chicken and sausage jambalaya recipe different depending on who I’m serving. Some people prefer a dish that’s much spicier and that has strong tones of Cajun flavouring in. Others prefer something subtler that isn’t as strong, and this dish is versatile enough to handle these differences.
If you’ve never tried a good Cajun chicken and sausage jambalaya recipe, then you probably don’t know what you’re missing out on. This can be a very comforting dish, made from savoury ingredients that serve as an entire meal on its own.
Most people will serve sides with jambalaya because it feels so complete already. It often has meat, rice, and veggies to make it a well-rounded and nutritious meal. This is a good dish to make when you don’t have a lot of time, or when you want to make up a lot of food early in the week, and you can rewarm the leftovers throughout the week.
Jambalaya can be made with a number of different meats, including beef and seafood. It is usually made with slightly toasted rice, along with plenty of seasonings, peppers, tomatoes, and sautéed onions. Sometimes people will add other veggies to this, including okra, potatoes, carrots, and more.
Like I said, this is a versatile dish that can be personalised to suit your tastes or to accommodate whatever foods you may have in the fridge that need to be eaten.
Easy Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
Once again, I want to warn you about being intimidated by this dish. Yes, you may feel like that’s a lot of stuff to work with, but it’s a pretty simple recipe that requires you basically just mix everything together and heat it up.
So, don’t be thrown off by how many ingredients it has in it, as it’s a fairly quick and simple dish to put together.
Easy Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 pound of smoke sausage, sliced small
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken, sliced into small cubes
- 2 cups of uncooked rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of Creole seasoning
- 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of celery, chopped
- Heat your oil in a large pot on medium high heat. You can also use a Dutch oven. Add in your chicken and sausage and cook until they have browned completely. This should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take your meat out and dry off with paper towels.
- In your empty pot or Dutch oven, add peppers, onions, celery, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, Creole seasoning, and oregano. You can leave the drippings from the meat in the pot and cook all of this in there, if you like. Cook on medium high heat until the vegetables become tender, which should take 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in your rice and cook for about 3 minutes. Then, add in the chicken broth, chicken, sausage, and tomatoes. Cook on high heat until your liquid starts to boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer. Let your jambalaya cook until the rice becomes tender, which should take about 20 minutes. Stir every so often to keep the food from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
I think this is the best chicken and sausage jambalaya recipe for people who have never made it before. There are lots of more complicated and interesting ways to make the recipe, and of course there are many ways to modify it. But this is a good recipe for starting out with, if you have never made anything like this before.
Cooking with Other Meats
Keep in mind that this sausage and chicken jambalaya recipe can be made with a variety of other meats. You can substitute the sausage and chicken out for any other meat you would like to have.
A recipe for jambalaya with chicken, shrimp and sausage can be made by following the recipe above and simply cooking your meat ahead of time, just as a recipe above calls for. Different meats cook at different temperatures and for different cooking times, so keep that in mind.
You probably don’t want to cook your shrimp for as long as you do the chicken, and certainly not for as long as you would beef or lamb.
When making a chicken, sausage, and shrimp jambalaya recipe, you can cook the shrimp separately to keep it from overcooking and drying out. It doesn’t take long to cook the shrimp, and you simply cook it on a medium heat until it turns pink all over.
No matter what meat you are cooking with, consider how long it will take to cook. Consider cooking the meat separately before adding it to your rice and veggies. Keep in mind that you don’t overcook your meat, as the best Cajun chicken and sausage jambalaya recipe will give you meat that is tender and juicy rather than dried out and tough.
Making Jambalaya in the
I want to share with you a
For this jambalaya recipe, chicken and sausage are used, but you can use other meats as well. Start by adding in your veggies and meats to the
Once the chicken is cooked all the way and the veggies are tender, you can add in any shrimp if you want to cook this with shrimp. This should take about 30 to 45 minutes of cooking on high for the shrimp to be cooked all the way, and then you can add the rice.
The rice should be cooked separately and added to your finished dish. You could also make this with pasta. A chicken and sausage jambalaya pasta recipe is made the same way, simply with the pasta cooked separately like the rice would be and then added to the rest of the dish when it is finished.
If you make a