My husband and I were craving fajitas recently, but we wanted something different than what we normally have, so I decided to make up a recipe from scratch.
This made enough for both of us, plus the kids had some leftovers. It could easily feed 4-6 for a full meal.
Chipotle Lime Steak & Shrimp Fajitas Recipe
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2-2 pounds beef sirloin tip steak
- 2 fajita kits
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (12 oz)
- 2 lemons
- 2 limes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly into strips
- 1 each bell peppers (green, red, and yellow), sliced thinly into strips
- Canola oil for sautéing vegetables
- Salt and pepper for vegetables
- Use two gallon-sized zipper bags. Put shrimp in one and steaks in another.
- Add 1/4 the chipotle peppers in adobo to the shrimp, and the rest to the steaks.
- Cut lemons and limes in half. Squeeze juice from one half lemon and one half lime into the shrimp and put the squeezed halves into the bag with the shrimp. Do the same with the rest of the lemons and limes for the steak.
- Add one clove mince garlic to shrimp and 3 cloves to the steak.
- Add 1/4 of the cilantro to the shrimp and the rest to the steak.
- Add 1/2 packet of the fajita seasoning from the fajita kit to the shrimp and 1 1/2 packets to the steak.
- Now seal the bags and rub the ingredients around inside the bags to coat the shrimp and steak well. Place in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- We grilled our steak and shrimp, but you could also cook in a frying pan or in the oven. The steak took about 8 minutes per side for medium, but the grill wasn’t extremely hot, so watch it carefully. The shrimp only took about 6-8 minutes total. You can tell when they are firm and plump up nicely.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat a couple of Tbsp. of canola oil on high. When very hot, add peppers and onions and sauté until soft, but not mushy.
- Heat the fajita tortillas according to package directions.
- Let the steak rest for about 5 minutes before you slice it very thinly.
- Serve with toppings so everyone can make their own fajitas.
With the Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker, making a delicious, home-cooked meal is as easy as putting a few ingredients in the crock and turning it on. Its 4 quart capacity and oval shape make it ideal for cooking a 4 lb. chicken or roasting meat to perfection. And with more programming options than Crock-Pot Smart-Pot*, this Hamilton Beach slow cooker gives you the ultimate selection of temperature and cooking time combinations.