Flauta is a tasty fried tortilla dish that’s comforting and fairly easy to make. It’s a traditional Spanish dish that is served throughout Spain, Mexico, and Texas. You can make this food with a lot of different ingredients, and while most people will use a recipe for chicken flautas, you can substitute the chicken with pork, beef, or lamb.
This is the kind of dish that can be made simply, using pre made, store bought ingredients, or you can cook everything from scratch to give it a home cooked feel and really authentic Southwestern taste.
You may hear these called tacos dorados or taquitos, but in the US, they are typically called flautas. They are served in a lot of restaurants and may be made slightly differently depending on where you go. Each region seems to have their own version using locally grown foods to make theirs stand out. The cheese may be different in one part of the world, and in another part, they might make the tortillas differently, but the basic preparations remain the same.
Chicken Flauta Recipe
We’re going to start with the traditional, homemade Mexican chicken flautas recipe that uses as few pre made ingredients as possible, and then we’ll give you an easier version for you to try. If you haven’t made many Mexican dishes, then you might want to start with the simpler version.
Chicken Flauta Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 tamato sliced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 16 small corn tortillas
- Vegetable or canola oil
- 1 head lettuce shredded
- 1 cup avocado slices
- Put all of your ingredients for chicken into a large pot. That would be the chicken, cumin, kosher salt, half an onion, garlic, tomato slices, and black pepper. Cover your ingredients with water and ensure the chicken has an inch of water over it.
- Simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes, and then bring to a boil on medium heat. Once the water is boiling, you should lower the heat and simmer for an additional 20 minutes to cook the chicken thoroughly. You may need to stir from time to time.
- Next, shred your chicken and place it on a cutting board. Set the chicken aside and put the flautas together.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and make sure there are enough baking sheets for all of your flautas. This is not a baked flautas recipe chicken dish, but you will use the oven to keep your flautas warm while your entire meal is frying. This will yield better results than trying to warm everything in the microwave, and it ensure that none of the food is served cold.
- Next, pop the tortillas in the microwave for about 15 seconds. This makes them warm and pliable so they will be easy to work with. You can warm them in a stack in the microwave, if you like, covering the stack with a damp towel. Trying to warm them up in the oven will make them crispy and hard, which is not what you want.
- Then it is time to fill the tortillas. You can put about a tablespoon of shredded chicken in each one. Wrap the tortillas tightly and stick a toothpick through each one. This keeps them from falling apart and opening up while they are frying.
- Once all of your tortillas are prepped, you can hear the oil in a skillet and fry your flautas. You want enough oil in the skillet for the oil to be about two inches high. Flip the tortillas over during frying to ensure that they are browned on all sides. Once they are a crispy golden color, you can take them out and place then onto the baking pan in the oven.
The Easy Version
This easy chicken flautas recipe is good in a pinch if you need something quick and simple for dinner. It uses mostly pre made ingredients that you can throw together, fry up fast, and be done in less than 30 minutes. Now, that’s what I call a quick dinner recipe. Plus, this dish is so filling and packed with ingredients that it can be the entire meal or a part of a larger meal.
We’ll keep the recipe mostly the same, but it’s the chicken that is changing here. Instead of using pieces of raw chicken that have to be cooked, you simply use canned chicken from the grocery. You might think that this chicken flautas recipe Mexican dish will taste wrong, but if you season it right, then no one will likely know the difference.
So, to make your chicken filling, you need to mix canned chicken with cream cheese, salsa, cheese, garlic powder and cumin. Mix all of that together and put it into the middle of your tortillas. Close the tortillas tightly and seal them closed with a toothpick. Then, spray your tortillas with cooking oil and bake them for 18 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
This baked chicken flautas recipe uses the following ingredients:
- 2 cans chicken drained
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp garlic
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 12 tortillas
Use this chicken flautas recipe with flour tortillas for fast and easy baking. Instead of frying the tortillas and trying to keep them warm in the
This is a dish that can take some time and be complicated to make, but it also doesn’t have to be. There are a number of ways to make it, and we have just listed two recipes for you that are quite different from one another. You will probably find your own signature way to make them after some experimentation, so have fun with and try out some different ingredients.