Last Updated on 26th December 2021 by Pauline
There are lots of coffee-based drinks, and lattes are among the most popular ones. Typically, a latte is made of a mixture of steamed milk and an espresso shot, and you can prepare it with or without an espresso machine.
But there are several versions and versatile additions that you can add to make a different cup of latte every day. Some lattes don’t even contain any coffee.
You don’t have to be a seasoned barista to prepare tasty lattes every day. In this tutorial, i’ll teach you how to make a latte at home like a pro. We’ll also discuss various versions of this drink, so you can indulge in your home-made drink every single day.
Preparing A Coffee Latte at Home
If you’re an avid drinker, a latte will be the best wake-me-up drink as it provides the needed dose of caffeine. The latte’s main ingredient is a shot of espresso, and you can have it ready with or without an espresso machine.
How to Make a Latte With an Espresso Machine
The base of your latte is a strong shot of espresso, and two-thirds of the drink is made of frothed milk. Lattes have a silky-smooth texture, and you can add various flavours to have a personalised latte. You can easily learn how to make a latte with Keurig coffee maker.
You can prepare your latte without an espresso machine, as long as you have fresh coffee beans that you can use to make the espresso shot. If you buy fresh beans, you need to invest in a high-quality grinder to provide you with the freshest flavour.
Pre-ground coffee is easier to get, and you should buy those from a trustworthy coffee shop. Arabica coffee beans are tasty and are usually mixed with Robusta beans to add a stronger taste. Dark-roasted or medium-dark roasted beans work best. These will add the rich crema on top of your espresso.
The next ingredient is milk. All types of milk work for your latte, but whole fat milk works best. You can even use plant-based milk if you’re vegetarian or lactose intolerant. If you want your latte to be extra special, you can add additional flavours and syrups like caramel, vanilla, or chocolate. You can use this method if you want to learn how to make a Starbucks latte.
- Use the machine’s cup warming feature to guarantee that the espresso shot won’t get cold while you froth the milk. If you don’t have a cup warming feature, fill the cup with hot water and let it sit for 1 minute before adding the shot.
- Brew a shot of espresso for your latte. If you prefer a bolder taste, brew 2 shots.
- Put the milk in the pitcher and use the steam wand to froth it. Keep the temperature at 150 degrees because the milk can burn and ruin the flavour of the latte.
- Hold the steam wand close to the surface of the milk to create the froth on top.
- Pour the steamed milk slowly over the espresso shot.
How to Make a Latte Without an Espresso Machine
Some espresso machines are quite affordable, but if you can’t afford any of them, you can still prepare the latte without a machine. You need to focus on steaming the milk without burning it. After it’s steamed, you can froth it or pour it directly over the espresso shot. Here is how to steam the milk.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan.
- Heat the milk on medium or medium-low heat until it reaches 150 degrees. Soy milk and almond milk will be steamed at a lower temperature.
- Stir the milk to keep it from boiling.
- If you want to froth the milk, you can use the French Press or a wand and a pitcher.
Frothing Milk Using the French Press
For this recipe, you need cold milk.
- Fill the French Press beaker with cold milk.
- Pump the plunger until the amount of milk doubles.
- Remove all the metal parts and put the beaker in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Frothing Milk Using a Wand
Investing in a frothing wand will work for you if you prepare lattes more often.
- Pour the steamed milk into a pitcher.
- Put the frothing wand halfway through the milk and turn it on. Make sure there is enough space in the pitcher for the foam to expand and pull the wand to the top.
- Keep on moving the wand up and down until you get the desired amount of froth.
Which Milk Should You Use for Lattes?
Finding the right milk for your latte can be tricky. You need to use the right type of milk that delivers the desired consistency and texture, and you also need to make sure that it goes well with the other flavours you’re adding into your latte.
It’s always recommended to use full-fat dairy milk to prepare lattes and other coffee-based drinks. The fats and proteins in the milk create the micro-foam that you will enjoy on top of your latte.
However, the milk’s taste depends on the type of cow being milked and what it’s fed. If you’re lactose intolerant or trying to watch your calories, full-fat milk won’t work for you.
Semi-skimmed or skimmed milk can also be used when you’re preparing a latte at home. However, you shouldn’t expect the best foam and texture because these types of milk contain fewer fats.
A barista’s favourite, almond milk is a suitable choice for vegetarian and lactose-intolerant latte lovers. Some brands offer special milk types that are specifically designed for steaming.
Other types of milk can become lumpy when added to the hot coffee, so you need to steam the milk properly before adding it to your espresso. Almond milk has a special flavour and might not work for you if you’re allergic to nuts.
Oat milk doesn’t hold the foam like other types of milk. It provides a silky and smooth texture. However, it’s the safest option to use if you’re allergic to nuts.
Soy milk produces excellent foam but doesn’t work for latte art. Soy contains a chemical that resembles the estrogen hormone in the human body, so it should be avoided if you suffer from hormone-related health issues.
Although coconut milk tastes heavenly in lots of recipes, it’s not the right one to use when you’re preparing lattes.
How to Make a Chai Tea Latte
Chai tea is rich in antioxidants, so it’s one of the healthiest and most popular beverages. The Chai latte is made using frothed milk and warm spices that intensify the flavours of the tea.
You can enjoy dairy-free chai latte using soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, and oat milk. Each one of these options will taste a little bit different, so you can experiment with all of them until you find the one that works for you. Here is how to make a chai latte at home.
Chai Tea Latte
- 2 Chai Tea Bags
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Honey OR Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Clover
- In a saucepan, bring the water to boil.
- Pour the water on the tea bag and let it steep between 7 to 10 minutes. Use 2 teabags if you prefer an intense flavour.
- Add the milk and sugar or honey and lower the temperature.
- Use a frothing wand to create the froth.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon, clover, and nutmeg on top.
How to Make a Matcha Latte
Matcha tea is made of finely ground special green leaves. The tea is packed with antioxidants and nutrients that protect the liver and boost brain functions. Matcha latte can be served cold or hot, depending on your preferences.
- 1 tsp Matcha Tea
- 2 tsp Sugar or Honey
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cupe Milk
- Add the Matcha tea and sugar or honey to a cup.
- Warm the water and mix it with the tea. Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Use cold milk for an iced latte, or warm the milk in a pan for a warm Matcha latte.
- Pour the milk on top of the Matcha paste.
- Use a whisker to mix all the ingredients together.
- Sprinkle some Matcha tea on top.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte
Pumpkin spice latte is an excellent drink for those cold months. It’s packed with nutrients and flavours and will combine the pumpkin puree’s sweetness with the strong taste of the coffee.
Pumpkin Spiced Latte
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp Sugar or Honey
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 cup Coffee
- Whipped Cream
- Add the pumpkin puree, milk, and sugar or honey to a saucepan. Heat on medium heat until hot, but don’t let the milk boil.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract and the pumpkin pie spices.
- Pour the coffee and whisk until all the ingredients blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a mug and add the whipped cream on top.
- Sprinkle some pumpkin pie spices on top.
How to Make a Vanilla Latte
The sweet taste of vanilla complements the milk’s sweetness and neutralises the strong flavour of the espresso in your latte. You should follow the same recipe, whether you’re using an espresso machine or not.
You don’t need to add sugar or honey because the vanilla extract is already sweet. Here’s how to make a vanilla latte at home like a professional barista.
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1-2 shots Espresso
- 2 tbsp Vanilla
- Follow the same steps of preparing a regular latte, whether you’re using an espresso machine or a frothing wand.
- Pour the vanilla extract into a coffee mug.
- Add the espresso shot.
- Pour the frothed milk on top and use a spoon to hold back the foam. Add the foam on the top.
How to Make a Tea Latte
Tea latte is a tasty drink that you can drink in the morning or at night. You can use English Breakfast tea or any other type of black tea, according to your preference.
- 2 Black tea teabags
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Sugar Or Honey
- Put the water in a teapot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the teabags or tea leaves and let it steep for 10 minutes. Strain the leaves and add honey or sugar.
- Use a milk frother to froth the milk.
- Add the tea to a cup, then add the milk and on top.
How to Make a Mocha Latte
Mocha contains chocolate chips that add sweetness to neutralise the bitterness of the coffee.
- 8 ounces Brewed Coffee
- 2 tbsp Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup Milk
- Whipped Cream
- Dark Chocolate Shavings
- Stir in the hot chocolate and espresso.
- Heat the milk to 100 degrees, then use a wand to froth it. You can also whisk it by hand, but it will take a longer time.
- Pour the frothed milk on top of the coffee.
- Add the whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top.
How To Make A Caramel Latte
Adding caramel syrup will make your latte sweet without affecting the strength of the coffee. You don’t need to add sugar or honey because your drink will be already sweet.
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Coffee
- 1 tbsp Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- Whipped Cream
You don’t have to be a professional barista to prepare high-quality lattes. You can prepare various types of lattes, experimenting with different flavours to enjoy your favourite drink whenever you like.