Last Updated on 23rd April 2022 by Pauline
Whole wheat dough makes for a hearty, healthy pizza crust that is high in fiber and good for your digestion. If you want your homemade pizza to be better for you and a little more flavorful, try making whole wheat pizza dough with a recipe I’m going to share with you.
You’ll end up with a crust that isn’t as chewy as regular white bread pizza dough, so keep that in mind. If you are a crispy crust lover, this will be right down your alley.
The dough takes a while to raise, so be aware of that and expect about a 3-hour wait time on the dough. This extends the prep time considerably, and you will want to make up the dough long before you plan to bake it.
How to Make Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
- 1 tablespoon of instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 3 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, with additional oil for brushing the dough and creasing the pan
- A few pinches of cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- (Optional) herbs for a seasoned crust- oregano, garlic powder, thyme, basil, or Italian seasoning mix
- Mix together yeast, honey, and warm water in a bowl. You could also use a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Cover this mixture and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes. It should start to foam at that point.
- Next in flour, olive oil, and salt. If using the stand mixer, it can be beaten on low speed for three minutes. You could also mix it by hand.
- Dip your hands in flour until they are lightly dusted and then knead the dough for five minutes. The dough can be kneaded with a mixer set to low speed instead. When the dough has been kneaded adequately, it should feel somewhat soft. Try poking it with your finger, and if the dough bounces back slowly, then it’s ready to rise. Otherwise, continue kneading.
- Grease a large bowl with oil and put the dough in there. Turn it over so that every side gets coated with oil. Then, cover that bowl- plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or even a towel work fine.
- Let the dough rise for about 2 hours, while it sits at room temperature. It should double in size in that time.
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Once it heats, turn off the oven and place the dough inside with the door slightly open. This creates the right environment for the dough to raise properly. After it has raised for 30 minutes inside the oven, you can close the door on the dough, and once the dough doubles in size, you can take it out of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can shape the pizza dough as the oven is heating. Grease a baking sheet with oil and sprinkle cornmeal on lightly. This helps make the crust crunchy.
- Punch the dough down and divide it into half. You can freeze half of it or place the two halves onto separate baking pans. Flour a countertop or other work surface and a rolling pin and then flatten the dough into a disc shape with a rolling pin.
- Place the dough onto the prepared baking pan and flatten it out until it covers most of the pan. At the edge of the dough, lift or pinch it slightly to create a lip.
- If you need time to prepare the pizza toppings, cover the dough with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap.
- Before adding any toppings, brush the dough with olive oil and use your fingers to create small dents on the dough’s surface.
- Then, add your pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and other toppings. Bake for 15 to 16 minutes.
If you’ve made homemade pizza before, you can see that this method for how to make whole wheat pizza dough is more complicated than the regular dough making process.
How to Make Whole Wheat Pizza Dough without Yeast
If you want to leave out the yeast, you can still make whole wheat pizza dough, and I’ll share with you how you do that.
What you’ll do is use baking powder instead. This leavening agent makes a good substitute for yeast, and you can leave the yeast out and make the same pizza dough. Just use a teaspoon of baking powder in place of the yeast.
The only other difference is that you don’t need to use warm water. Warm water activates the yeast, but if you’re using baking powder, you can use cold water instead.
How to Make Indian Whole Wheat Pizza
Here’s a method for how to make whole wheat pizza base at home Indian style.
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- Oil for greasing
- Toppings- tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, mozzarella cheese, cilantro, tofu, and spinach
- Mix together all of your pizza dough ingredients- yeast, sugar, flour, water, and salt. You may need a spoon to help with the mixing.
- Grease a bowl using oil and put the dough inside, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to raise for about 20 minutes.
- As the dough is raising, you can prepare your pizza toppings, including sliced tomatoes, bell pepper slices, sliced onions, mozzarella cheese, cilantro, tofu, and spinach.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide the dough into two portions and knead it. Then roll the dough out.
- Prepare a baking pan (or two, if necessary) by greasing it with oil.
- Place the dough on a tawa and cook on both sides on medium heat until it’s golden and puffy.
- Then, place the dough on top of the baking pan(s) and flatten it out, pinching the edges to make a crust.
- Add on your toppings and heat the dough for 10 minutes.