Here is a quick and easy recipe to make with your Instant Pot, creating a meal very simply. Now, I love my Instant Pot and how it makes mealtime so much simpler, taking a lot of effort and time out of creating family size dinners.
I’m going to show you how to make Instant Pot chicken and broccoli in a way that won’t take much time but yet that comes out perfectly delicious every time. You don’t always have to spend hours and hours in the kitchen to make a dinner that everyone loves.
I like sharing with people recipes and ideas that make dinner quick and simple but don’t compromise on taste and quality. This chicken and broccoli Instant Pot recipe is definitely one of those.
I’ve been making Instant Pot recipes for years now, and I know how to quickly put together a dish that I can be sure tastes good, but you don’t have to be an expert to pull off this one.
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice
I’m going to start with a little disclaimer about the ingredients, and I think it’s important to note that your Instant Pot meal will taste a whole lot better if your ingredients are fresh and high quality. Fresh broccoli and fresh chicken work great for this dish to ensure maximum flavour but you can also make Instant Pot frozen chicken and broccoli.
Using frozen ingredients works just fine, as long as they were stored properly and frozen when fresh.
When preparing this recipe, my broccoli is already steamed be used in the dish. When adding in cornstarch to your dish to thicken it, make sure you mix it with a little water first in a small bowl and stir until all the particles have dissolved.
Be sure to stir quickly, otherwise clumps will form and you will have to start over.
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice
- 1 pound of chicken breast, sliced into pieces about 1 inch long
- 1 pound of steamed broccoli
- 1 tbsp of ginger, grated
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¾ cup of beef stock (water can also be used)
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- Add the ginger, soy sauce, beef stock, chicken, garlic, sesame oil, and brown sugar to the Instant Pot. Mix all that together.
- Cover the Instant Pot with a lid and ensure that the vent is sealed.
- Set your Instant Pot to high pressure choosing either pressure cook or manual. Cook your food for three minutes and then allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure. It will cease cooking on its own and will beep to indicate it is done. Let the steam out quickly and be careful when you open the lid.
- You will probably want the sauce to be a little thicker than it is when it comes out of the Instant Pot. In order to thicken it, use the sauté setting and add your cornstarch to the pot. Mix it all together and the sauce should thicken up, but if it doesn't become thick enough, you can add another tablespoon of cornstarch that is already been mixed with water.
- Add in the broccoli to your dish and cover the lid to allow the broccoli to steam for an additional few minutes. You can garnish your dish with sesame seeds.
How to Serve Instant Pot Chicken and Broccoli
I think most instant pot chicken and broccoli recipes will suggest that you serve this dish over rice, and that’s how it’s usually served. That’s a common Instant Pot Chinese chicken and broccoli dish, but there are other ways to serve it if you wish.
You can use the chicken and broccoli as a main dish and have pasta or bread or another carbohydrate on the side.
Getting the thickness of the sauce just right really depends on your preferences. It can be as thin or as thick as you like, and if you want to thin it out, simply add some water or beef broth. I definitely suggest the beef broth to help retain the flavour.
Keep adding in a little bit of cornstarch to the dish and be sure to mix your cornstarch with water ahead of time before stirring it into the chicken and broccoli in Instant Pot.
Mixing up the cornstarch ahead of time ensures that it doesn’t clump in your instant pot and form lumps in your dish. With any chicken and broccoli Instant Pot recipes, a little cornstarch will go a long way, and you won’t need very much.
Making Variations on Chicken and Broccoli Instant Pot
You can modify this recipe in a few different ways, and probably the most common modification people ask about is Instant Pot teriyaki chicken and broccoli. This is a pretty simple change to make, and it simply requires changing up a few ingredients.
You can make your own teriyaki sauce from scratch or buy it pre made. To make homemade teriyaki sauce simply mix together honey, brown sugar soy sauce, and ginger. This can all be added to the Chinese chicken and broccoli Instant Pot as the recipe above indicates.
If you want to make a larger pot of food, you don’t have to make any changes to the cooking time. You can make Instant Pot chicken rice and broccoli that is twice as much as the recipe above list. Simply add in the food you need, doubling the ingredients, and cook for the same amount of time.
You should make sure that your instant Pot is large enough to accommodate the size of the dish you’re making.
Your chicken and broccoli can be frozen installed until you’re ready to use the rest of it. It can also be put into the refrigerator after it cools and reaches room temperature. In the fridge, it will last for a few days, but in the freezer it can last for months.
Remember to store the food in an airtight container and to use appropriate containers for the fridge or freezer. If you are storing in a freezer bag, be sure to get rid of any excess air in the bag before freezing the food.