This recipe is inspired by a dish I tried at Bennett’s Barbecue in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I tried their spicy mac and cheese and I really liked it, and since I detected pepper jack cheese in it I decided to come home and try to make my own version.
Perfect for easy, quick and safe grating.
Pepper Jack Mac And Cheese Recipe
- 1 box macaroni, prepared according to package directions
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ tsp each salt and black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare the roux for the béchamel sauce. Over medium high heat, mix butter and flour, stirring constantly until butter has melted and the mixture has turned slightly golden.
- Slowly add 2 cups milk to the roux, stirring constantly. (You may need to add a bit more milk if the mixture becomes too thick.) You want the consistency to be about like a gravy. Add salt and pepper. And remove from heat.
- Add ½ cup sour cream and whisk to incorporate.
- Add cheeses.
- Whisk slowly until cheese is fully blended into the béchamel sauce.
- Cheese sauce should be a nice, thick consistency as seen above. But if it gets too thick you can add a little more milk that has been heated slightly. (Don’t use cold milk or the cheese could separate and make the sauce like a greasy oil slick!)
- Pour drained macaroni into a large heat-resistant bowl.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni and stir to blend well.
The Nutri Ninja with Auto iQ takes the guesswork out of drink making. Auto IQ technology features intelligent programs that combine unique timed pulsing, blending and pausing patterns that do the work for you.