Last Updated on 29th December 2021 by Pauline
This southern fried catfish recipe is super simple to make and takes only a few minutes.
Southern Fried Catfish Recipe
- 2 pounds catfish filets or nuggets
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- Place catfish filets or nuggets into a plastic zipper bag.
- Add seasonings to bag and zip closed. Gently roll the fish around in the seasonings to coat evenly.
- Place bag in refrigerator and allow to sit for 1-4 hours to absorb flavor.
- Place cornmeal and flour in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to cornmeal mixture.
- Remove catfish from bag and dip in cornmeal. Shake off excess.
- Add about ¼ inch of canola oil to a frying pan and heat over medium-high heat until bubbling slightly. (About 375° F)
- Lay fillets or nuggets into hot oil, making sure to lay them AWAY from you to avoid splattering. Cook about 2-3 minutes on each side or until the fish has lost all translucence in the center.
Serves about 4-6 people.