Last Updated on 24th February 2022 by Pauline
If you’re looking for an alternative to white flour, almond flour makes a good substitute. This baking flour is gluten free and can be used to make many of the same baked goods you would make with regular flour.
What Is Almond Flour?
Almond flour comes from blanched almonds that have been ground up. First, they are placed into boiling water so the skin comes off easily. Then, the almonds are ground up very fine and sifted to achieve a consistency just like that of regular flour.
This method for how to make almond flour produces a powder that can be used in place of traditional flour. Can you use it exactly the same way as regular flour? Yes, it can be used with a 1:1 ratio, but sometimes you may need some extra egg in your almond flour to bind it properly.
I’m going to share some recipes with you and show you what to make with almond flour to get you started. If you like some of these, you should look up some more recipes and check out the huge variety of almond flour baking options available to you.
Is Almond Flour Good for You?
There are some health benefits to using almond flour compared to other kinds of flours. It may lower your LDL cholesterol, which is considered your bad cholesterol. It’s also gluten free, so anyone with a gluten intolerance or suffering from celiac disease may want to use almond flour in place of regular flour.
It’s also a good source of several vitamins, like vitamin E, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, and manganese. If you’re looking for a flour that’s healthier than what you’re used to, you may want to try switching to almond flour.
How many carbs in almond flour? This is a low carb flour, and 28 grams of almond flour (which is one ounce) yields 2.8 grams of carbohydrates. You don’t have to worry too much about it contributing to an expanding waistline if you use it in moderation.
How to Make Pancakes with Almond Flour
Let me share with you a method for making pancakes using almond flour. This may contain a little more egg than your typical pancake recipe, but that’s to help bind the almond flour, remember.
- 1 1/3 cup of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Cooking oil
- Whisk together the almond flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Make sure the almond flour is leveled out when measuring it.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all your liquid ingredients- vanilla, almond milk, maple syrup, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and stir together with a whisk. If you find that the batter is thin, it may need some almond flour. If it is a little thick, you can add more almond milk. In either case, add only a little bit at a time.
- Once your batter is mixed together, heat a skillet on the stovetop over medium low heat. Add a little cooking oil to the bottom of the
- Once the oil is hot, you can drop in the pancakes one or two at a time, leaving enough space between each pancake for them to cook. Allow the pancakes to cook for one or two minutes on each side, flipping them over to brown on both sides.
How to Make Bread with Almond Flour
Did you know you can use almond flour to make bread as well? Let me share with you a method for how to make this gluten free bread that comes out delicious, with a slightly spongy texture.
- 2 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Warm up the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for 15 seconds at a time, until it melts. Allow it to cool at room temperature.
- Preheat the
ovento 350 degrees and prepare a rack in the center of the oven.
- Use nonstick spray or another oil to coat a loaf baking
panand then line that with parchment paper that’s long enough to hang over the sides. Coat again with cooking spray or cooking oil.
- Mix together the flaxseed meal, almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, including eggs, egg white, apple cider vinegar, honey, and coconut oil.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together using a whisk to combine. Pour into the prepared bread
panand smooth the top of your batter.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes and allow the
panto rest on the cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then, take the bread from the panto let it cool completely.
How to Make Macaroons Without Almond Flour
Some dishes are meant to be made with almond flour, but if you don’t have any available, what can you use? If you’re making macaroons, which are a lovely meringue-based sandwich cookie, you’re usually going to make them from almond flour. If none is available, you can use crushed pumpkin seeds instead.
You can make pumpkin seed flour at home by grinding the seeds through a food processor until they come out very fine. Use pumpkin seed flour at a 1:1 ratio to almond flour.
How to Substitute Almond Flour for Regular Flour
If you want to make a recipe that calls for regular flour and use almond flour instead, you can substitute it out at a 1:1 ratio. In many cases, no other changes need to be made, but if you find that your recipe is falling apart, you may want to add a little more egg.