If you like churros and cheesecake, and then the churro cheesecake is a match made in heaven for you. It combines two of my favorite foods, and I want to show you how you can make it at home, creating a dessert with a little bit of a Latino flair to it.
The crispy cinnamon crust and pillowy cream cheese interior make for a wonderful combination. If you’ve never had this before, you may wonder why you never thought of it.
If you take one bite of it, you’ll feel like your life is complete, if you don’t mind my exaggeration, so let me introduce you to what may probably be your new favorite dessert.
Churro Cheesecake Recipe
You will probably find some variations on the basic churro cheesecake, but I’ll give you one recipe you can work with, and you can always make variations from there.
I recommend waiting on making any deviations from the recipe until you’ve made it once or twice and you’re comfortable with already.
- 1 large egg
- 2 packages of cream cheese- 8 oz each
- 2 cans of refrigerated crescent rolls- 8 oz each
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 and 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine nutmeg and cinnamon with 1 cup of sugar. Mix together and pour 1/4 of this cup into the bottom of a baking pan.
- Take a can of crescent roll dough and roll it out over the top of the sugar mixture you put at the bottom of the pan. Get rid of the seams by pressing the dough together.
- Next, take the cream cheese and beat it until it becomes smooth.
- Add the rest of the sugar, as well as the egg and maple syrup and beat everything together. You now have a cream cheese mixture that you can spread over the crescent roll dough in your baking pan.
- Use the next can of crescent roll dough to spread across the top of the cream cheese mixture in the baking pan. Get rid of any seams you see by pressing the dough together. Add in the rest of your nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar on top of that.
- Put the cheesecake into the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. You can serve it hot if you wish or chill it in the fridge for a couple hours and serve it cold.
Now that you know how to make churro cheesecake, let’s discuss some other things you can do with this dessert.
How to Make Churro Cheesecake Bars
Churro cheesecake bars are individual servings of churro cheesecake that are made similarly to the recipe up above. The only difference is that you cut the cheesecake into small sections after it is done baking.
What you can do with the bars is add more layers onto them to make them taller, or you can top them with various ingredients to give them some variety.
I like to serve mine up with a cinnamon stick on the side for decoration, and they are really good when you partner them with raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries. These also add a dash of color to the dish and make it look brighter and more enticing.
How Long to Bake Churro Cheesecake?
The baking time for this dish is comparable to baking a normal cheesecake. It should take about 30 minutes, if you’re baking it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If you use a different temperature, the baking time will change. If you’re making a larger churro cheesecake than what I gave you a recipe for, you may need to cook it for longer.
How to tell when your churro cheesecake has finished cooking and is ready to eat? The most surefire way to tell is to use an instant read thermometer. If you poke that into the cake and it reads 150 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, your cheesecake is done.
You can use the jiggle test as well. Just shake the cheesecake gently and see if it jiggles at all. If it is done cooking, the cheesecake will only wobble a little bit. If it wobbles freely and moves quite a bit, then it needs to cook for longer.
How Long Do You Let Churro Cheesecake Cool?
You can serve churro cheesecake cold or hot. It can be eaten straight from the oven, but some people prefer theirs cold. If you want it hot, you don’t have to let it cool at all to eat it.
If you prefer it cold, however, it should be stored in the fridge for about 3 hours to ensure it cools completely. After it sits in the fridge overnight, it will definitely be able to be eaten cold.
How to Store Churro Cheesecake
Churro cheesecake can store for about 3-4 days. If you leave it sitting out on the counter for any length of time, you may end up cutting down its shelf life a bit. You want to store it in a part of the fridge where the temperature stays consistent.
Try placing it to the back of the fridge where there are likely to be fewer temperature fluctuations.
How Long Does Churro Cheesecake Last?
Churro cheesecake may not let it last very long, since this dish is so good it should be gone in minutes.
However, if there are some leftovers, you may be wondering how long they are good for.
It’s good for about 3-4 days, as I mentioned above, and that’s because of the cream cheese in it. Once cream cheese is stored in the fridge and then baked, it won’t last very long. Make sure you eat it before then and don’t let any of your churro cheesecake go to waste.
For longer storage, you can place some of it in the freezer and store it there for up to 2 months.