Last Updated on 12th December 2021 by
This recipe is inspired by a dish I tried at Bennett’s Barbecue in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I tried their spicy mac and cheese and I really liked it, and since I detected pepper jack cheese in it I decided to come home and try to make my own version.
Pepper Jack Mac And Cheese Recipe
- 1 box macaroni, prepared according to package directions
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ tsp each salt and black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare the roux for the béchamel sauce. Over medium high heat, mix butter and flour, stirring constantly until butter has melted and the mixture has turned slightly golden.
- Slowly add 2 cups milk to the roux, stirring constantly. (You may need to add a bit more milk if the mixture becomes too thick.) You want the consistency to be about like a gravy. Add salt and pepper. And remove from heat.
- Add ½ cup sour cream and whisk to incorporate.
- Add cheeses.
- Whisk slowly until cheese is fully blended into the béchamel sauce.
- Cheese sauce should be a nice, thick consistency as seen above. But if it gets too thick you can add a little more milk that has been heated slightly. (Don’t use cold milk or the cheese could separate and make the sauce like a greasy oil slick!)
- Pour drained macaroni into a large heat-resistant bowl.
- Add cheese sauce to macaroni and stir to blend well.
This recipe makes enough to easily serve about 8-12 people as a side dish. It made enough for lunch for my kids (I have 6 who can eat solid food right now!) and they went nuts for it. Truth be told, I had a bowl, too! I think there would have been enough for my husband, too, but he’s always hated macaroni and cheese and I can’t get him to try it.
I'm Pauline, a retired patisserie chef, mother of four and now a full time food blogger! When i'm not cooking i love long walks, reading thriller novels and spending time with my grandkids. Head to my about me page to learn more about the woman behind the food! You can find my Facebook here