Last Updated on 22nd April 2022 by Pauline
Cube steak are delicious breaded steaks, dipped into a batter and then usually fried. There a Southern food favorite, sometimes called country steak or Southern fried steak, as well as chicken fried steak.
However, you may be looking for a healthier option, and you might be interested in learning some ways to cook cube steak that don’t involve frying it up in oil.
There are a few different ways for how to cook cube steak that don’t involve frying it, and I’ll share some of those with you. This can still be a great dish when prepared in the oven or in other unconventional ways.
How to Cook Cube Steak in Oven
- 1 pound of cubed beef steak, cut small
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup (about 10.75 ounces)
- 1 can of water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup into glass baking dish. Then, fill the soup can with water and pour that into the dish as well. Combine by mixing with a whisk.
- Drop the cube steak pieces in the baking dish and make sure they get covered with the mushroom soup sauce. Add salt and pepper to season
- Place the dish into the oven, lowering the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, and then bake for an hour. The meat should be tender when poked with a fork.
This method for how to cook cube steak without flour is probably one of the simplest methods for making it. By having an already prepared can of mushroom soup, a lot of the work is done for you.
How to Cook Cube Steak in an Air Fryer
If you’re cooking cube steak in the air fryer, it’s a lot healthier than trying to make it in a frying pan or pot of oil. The air fryer uses less oil, making for a less fatty, greasy fried food. Try this recipe for how to cook cube steak tender without needing to fry it up on the stove.
- 1 pound of cube steak
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- two cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Mix Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, olive oil, minced garlic, and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
- Pour your sauce onto the cube steak and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about an hour. This helps keep the steak really tender when it cooks in the air fryer later.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Allowed to preheat for five minutes.
- Put your cube steaks into a pan.
- Put the cube steaks into the air fryer, not letting them overlap and keeping one layer.
- Fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 to 7 minutes. Don’t let them cook too long, or they will become hard and tough. The internal temperature should achieve 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Allow the steaks to rest for about 5 minutes before you cut them open. That keeps the juices inside the steak rather than allowing them to run out.
How to Cook Cube Steak in Crock Pot
How do you cook cube steak that’s saucy rather than breaded and fried? Try making it in the crockpot. It will take a while, but I think you’ll love the end result.
- 1 1/2 pounds of cube steak
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 packet of au jus gravy mix
- 1 can of French onion soup (10.5 ounces)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup (10.75 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of cold water
- Pour the cream of chicken soup, French onion soup, water, and au jus into the bottom of a slow cooker. Stir together.
- Add the cube steak into the slow cooker and mix with the gravy.
- Put the cover on the slow cooker and click on the low setting for about 7 hours.
- Once the steak has cooked, you’ll need to make the gravy a bit thicker. Mix together water and cornstarch to create a slurry. Stir as much as needed into the crockpot.
- Set the crockpot to high and cook for 30 minutes, until the gravy becomes thick enough.
How to Cook Cube Steak on the Grill
You can cook these on the grill as well. Feel free to use the same marinade mixture I gave you earlier and soak your cube steak in that for about an hour in the fridge. If you soak it for longer, the flavor can penetrate deeper and make your steaks more flavorful.
Then, use a steak rub all over the outside of your steaks and heat up the grill. You want to warm the grill to medium high heat, and once it’s warm, you can place your cube steaks directly onto the grill.
How long to cook cube steak when using the grill? They should cook for three minutes on each side, and you only need to flip them one time.
You can serve them directly from the grill with a side of mashed potatoes, potato wedges, corn on the cob, collard greens, green beans, cream corn, and other Southern food staples.
Cooking them on the grill is definitely the fastest way to make cube steaks, but of course you won’t get that deep fried flavor that they’re known for. Still, you’re getting a healthier steak that you can feel a little bit better about eating.
Now that you’ve learned a few ways to cook cube steak without needing to fry them in a vat of oil, you can let me know which one of these methods you like the most. Be sure to sound off in the comment section below.
Personally, I prefer the air fryer method, since it’s the closest thing to a classic chicken fried steak, but I understand how someone might have a preference for saucier cube steak as well.