Cocktail sauce is typically made from just ketchup, horseradish sauce, and maybe some Tabasco sauce or worcestershire sauce, but I find the flavour lacking when it’s made this way. My version has a lot more flavour, and it tastes a lot fresher. Plus, when you make it homemade you can tailor the recipe to your taste. Use more or less horseradish (or even none) or add a little more heat with more hot sauce.
I find that this is the best homemade cocktail sauce recipe, because it just tastes fresh. The lemon juice really brightens the flavour, and the addition of the diced tomatoes makes it less sweet. It really tastes almost like a Bloody Mary!
Best Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup (I prefer Heinz, because it’s not as sweet as other brands)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes drained
- 1/4 of a small white onion, minced finely
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce (I prefer Lea and Perrins)
- A few dashes of hot sauce (I like Frank’s, but many people use Tabasco)
- 1-2 Tbsp prepared horseradish (NOT horseradish sauce)
- 1 lemon (2 if they aren’t very juicy)
- Salt to taste
- Put ketchup and diced tomatoes into a blender or food processor.
- Add onion, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and half the horseradish. Pulse a few times to blend.
- Add lemon juice and a bit of salt. Pulse once or twice to blend.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning as desire. Add more horseradish, salt, or hot sauce until it tastes like you want it.
With intuitive controls, exhilarating power, and durability the Explorian Series E310 will forever change the way you prepare meals. It's never been easier to become a Vitamix owner and create healthy, whole-food recipes at home.