Cocktail sauce is typically made from just ketchup, horseradish sauce, and maybe some Tabasco sauce or worcestershire sauce, but I find the flavour lacking when it’s made this way. My version has a lot more flavour, and it tastes a lot fresher. Plus, when you make it homemade you can tailor the recipe to your taste. Use more or less horseradish (or even none) or add a little more heat with more hot sauce.
I find that this is the best homemade cocktail sauce recipe, because it just tastes fresh. The lemon juice really brightens the flavour, and the addition of the diced tomatoes makes it less sweet. It really tastes almost like a Bloody Mary!
Cocktail sauce is a popular condiment made from ketchup or chili sauce, horseradish, and other spices. It’s perfect for dipping shrimp, crab, or other seafood. This cocktail sauce recipe is easy to make and can be tailored to your taste.
To make cocktail sauce, simply mix together ketchup or chili sauce, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. You can adjust the proportions of each ingredient to suit your taste. For a spicier cocktail sauce, add more hot sauce. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add more ketchup or chili sauce.
This cocktail sauce recipe is just a starting point – feel free to experiment until you find a combination that you like. Once you’ve mixed up your sauce, give it a taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Serve cocktail sauce with shrimp, crab, or other seafood. Enjoy!
Best Homemade Cocktail Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup (I prefer Heinz, because it’s not as sweet as other brands)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes drained
- 1/4 of a small white onion, minced finely
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce (I prefer Lea and Perrins)
- A few dashes of hot sauce (I like Frank’s, but many people use Tabasco)
- 1-2 Tbsp prepared horseradish (NOT horseradish sauce)
- 1 lemon (2 if they aren’t very juicy)
- Salt to taste
- Put ketchup and diced tomatoes into a blender or food processor.
- Add onion, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and half the horseradish. Pulse a few times to blend.
- Add lemon juice and a bit of salt. Pulse once or twice to blend.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning as desire. Add more horseradish, salt, or hot sauce until it tastes like you want it.