Do you like to mix a little sweetness into your meals to liven them up? Do you sometimes have dessert before your meal? Met too, which is why I want to tell you about delicious molasses bread.
It’s very reminiscent of whole wheat bread but sweeter and not as healthy.
What Is Molasses Bread?
This is a brown bread made from sweet molasses, so it doesn’t even need anything else on it because of how flavorful it is. However, when molasses bread comes out of the oven and is piping hot, a slice of this bread tastes like heaven with a bit of butter spread across it.
You’ll want to eat through a whole loaf in one sitting. Molasses bread doesn’t last long at my house, and it’s because of the strong, sugary flavor and delicately crispy crust.
How to Make Molasses Bread
Like any homemade bread, molasses bread takes some work, but its well worth it. Here is a tried and true method for how to make molasses brown bread.
- ½ cup of molasses
- 2 ½ cups of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons of instant yeast
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 3-4 cups of flour
- 3 cups of wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Oats for garnishing
- Fit the dough hook onto a stand mixer and set up a bowl under that.
- Mix in yeast, water, cocoa powder, molasses, oil, salt, honey, and 2 cups of wheat flour.
- Combine using the mixer.
- As the mixer is operating, add in the remainder of the flour, first adding in the whole wheat flour and then the bread flour. Only add enough for the dough to start pulling away from the bowl’s sides. It may not be necessary to add in all of the flour.
- Knead the dough for about 6 minutes, and when it is ready, it should be tacky and soft.
- Move the dough over to a bowl that has been lightly greased and cover that bowl with plastic wrap that is prayed lightly with cooking spray. You could use a dish towel instead. Allow to raise for 1-2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and then divide it all into a few evenly sized pieces (two or three).
- Form the dough pieces into oval sand put them only baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper. Give them enough space to rise and not touch one another.
- Cover them with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking oil and allow to rise once more, until they are puffy and have become twice as large, which should take another 50 minutes or so.
- Before you put the bread into the oven to bake, use a knife to cut each of the loaves on the top with a knife.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake the bread for 25 minutes.
- Once the bread is done baking, take it out of the oven and brush down with melted butter and then sprinkle on oats. Bake for an additional 6 minutes, or until the bread is cooked all the way through and has browned.
Use this same recipe when you want to know how to make old fashioned molasses bread, as that’s essentially what we’re doing with this recipe.
How to Make Black Angus Molasses Bread
The Black Angus restaurant makes some truly special molasses bread, and they are for famous for it. If you want to mix up a copycat version, you will have to make some slight alterations to the recipe I gave you above.
You can use the same ingredients I listed above, but you ought to knead the dough for longer. It should be kneaded for about 12 minutes, until it is really elastic.
The next alteration needs to be done when the bread dough is put into the baking pans. Make sure that you turn the dough over in the pan so that all sides get greased, or you can just spray the loaves down lightly with cooking spray.
Other than those couple of things, you can follow the directions I gave you already and get a great copycat recipe.
How to Make Pumpkin Molasses Bread
If you are reading this article during the fall, you may be looking for ways to add pumpkin to just about everything. Or you may just like pumpkin at any time of year like I do. If you want to add pumpkin to this bread, it’s not too difficult.
You need to cut back on the flour a bit to use just 2 cups, as you will be making a lighter, fluffier bread. You also need to add two eggs and a 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree.
You will be baking the bread for about an hour at 250 degrees Fahrenheit, and then checking it with a toothpick to see if it is done.
This is more of a cake than bread, really, because of how sweet it is and because of its texture. You could always take a pumpkin bread recipe and modify it to add some molasses in it.
How to Make Sweet Molasses Bread
You may have heard molasse spread go by other names and not have realized that it is the same bread, really. Sweet molasses bread is just another name for molasses bread or old-fashioned molasses bread.
You can leave off the oats, if you want, and some of them will fall off during the baking process anyway. But, if you wanted them there, you can follow the recipe I gave you at the beginning for how to make oatmeal molasses bread.
If you are adding oats to your recipe, make sure that you brush the bread down with butter before adding them and then bake the bread for a bit longer. This will help the oats stick and ensure that they are cooked.