One of the most decadent desserts you can make is black forest cake. It’s moist, chocolatey, and delightfully sweet and rich. Black forest makes a perfect cupcake, and it’s not very difficult to make.
If you can make black forest cupcakes from scratch, that will really impress guests and family members that get to taste your cooking. Then, if you take the black forest cupcake recipe and make some alterations to create black forest cherry cupcakes or cheesecake cupcakes, you can have something really special on your hands.
There are so many ways to make these cupcakes, but we’ll start you out easy and then give you some options to try to take your black forest recipe in a new direction. You’re sure to find some versions of this recipe that you love and that you’ll want to put out every time you have guests over.
Easy Black Forest Cupcakes
Let’s take the guesswork and luck out of baking for you with this very simple recipe. It’s tough to mess up, so you get great results every time, even if you are a novice baker.
This is a black forest cupcakes cake mix recipe to make things easy on you. making black forest cupcakes with cake mix is definitely the novice method, but it’s a good way to get the basics down before you try a more advanced recipe. It will help you to avoid getting in over your head, so we recommend it for people who are a little timid about tackling these tantalising cupcakes.
Start with chocolate cake mix and avoid devil’s food cake since that will be too light for our purposes.
Mix that with a cup of flour and a cup of sugar as well as half a teaspoon of salt. Next, add wet ingredients- a cup of sour cream, two eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Mix all of that together and then scoop out about ¾ of a cup of batter into cupcake liners that have been placed into a cupcake baking
If you want to make these into black forest cherry cupcakes, just scoop out the center and add in cherry pie filling. Then cover the muffin with the bit you scooped out.
You can make your own frosting or buy some from the grocery. To make your own, mix ¾ of a cup of heavy whipping cream until peaks form. Add in half a teaspoon of vanilla and half a cup of powdered sugar and mix. Keep mixing until peaks form again, and then add your frosting to the cupcakes. You may want to top the cupcakes with a cherry.
This is almost as simple as the black forest cupcakes Betty Crocker recipe, which calls for a cake mix, pre-made whipped cream, eggs, and cherries. This is the kind of recipe that can be as simple or as complex as you like. Check the end of this article for a couple of options that will put your cooking skills to the test.
How to Make Black Forest Cheesecake Cupcakes
One of our favourite variations on black forest cupcakes is to make them into mini cheesecakes. Both black forest cake and cheesecake are known for being rich, so it’s not much of a stretch to make a sumptuous cheesecake version of this classic cake and still call it black forest.
Cheesecake isn’t terribly hard to make, but it’s a different kind of baking than just making a chocolate cake. You have to worry about it turning out too soupy and not getting the right consistency, and a lot more can go wrong with the recipe than with typical chocolate cake.
Cheesecake can definitely be intimidating, but this is definitely one of the more rewarding black forest cupcakes recipes we have found. Ours is made with an Oreo crust, but you can buy a crust if you want to save yourself a step. If you are using a premade crust, you can mix some melted butter into it to make it easy to work with, since you will be placing it into cupcake liners. We recommend using an Oreo or chocolate cookie crust because it gives the white cheesecake a dark component, which is keeping in line with the black forest look.
Black Forest Cupcakes Recipe
- 12 Oreos
- 15 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 ¼ cups heavycream
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup chocolatechips meltand then cool
- 2 tbsp unsweetcocoa powder
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanillaextract
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- For the crust, just crush 12 Oreos and mix them with a tablespoon and a half of melted butter. Press that into the bottom and sides of your muffin cups.
- Mix your heavy cream until peaks start to form, and then add in the sugar and continue mixing until peaks form once more.
- Before adding the topping, scoop out a small section of cheesecake from the center of each cupcake. Fill that empty space with cherry filling and cover back with cheesecake. Then, add your topping.
- Mix together cocoa, salt, and ⅔ cup of sugar. Mix until there are no more clumps, and then add in the cream cheese and sugar. Whip all of that together until smooth.
- Next, mix in your eggs, one at a time. Then, add in vanilla and melted chocolate. Mix until smooth and then add sour cream and heavy cream and mix that all together as well.
- You will likely have some air bubbles trapped in your mixture that you need to get rid of. To remove them, you will need to tap the bowl onto the countertop hard,30 times or so. Next, scoop out about ¼ of a cup of mixture into each muffin cup, over the crust.
- Bake your black forest cupcakes for 17 minutes in an oven preheated to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. They are done when the center jiggles just slightly. Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for about an hour, then cover them and refrigerate.
Black Forest Cupcakes Recipe Variations
There are plenty of ways to make black forest cake cupcakes or cheesecake cupcakes. One of the traditional ways is to use a clear brandy known as kirsch. Black forest cupcakes with kirsch have a strong flavour to them, and this brandy is made from cherries. This is how Germans have been making the cupcakes for generations.
You can also make a layered cake, called black forest gateau cupcakes. This one is definitely challenging, and you’ll probably want to practice the standard version of black forest cupcakes first before you try to tackle the layered variation.
You could also make mini cupcakes, including mini cheesecake bites, which are perfect for parties. There is no end to the variations available, and we have had a lot of fun experimenting with black forest cupcakes and trying our hand at different recipes that play with the traditional concept of a rich, moist chocolate cake.