Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by Pauline
When we think about cooking something special for our guests, what typically comes to our minds? Choosing the perfect dish for the occasion becomes quite a tough job, but we got you. Stuffed Flank Steak may look very complicated but trust me; it is effortless to make at home.
You can make it in the
Why Should You Use Flank Steak?
Flank Steak is a part of meat that we usually make for grilling. It has a beefy, flavorful texture and you can chew it with ease if you cook it right. Making a pinwheel with the flank steak is one of the fastest ways of cooking the meat which can impress anyone right away!
If you are thinking that grilling or stuffing a flank steak is complicated, then you are wrong. Cooking the Flank steak is extremely easy to follow, and if you know how to butterfly the steak smoothly. It is the most desirable cut of meat for grilling, costs the same compared to other high-quality steaks.
How To Butterfly A Flank Steak?
You need to trim the steak first, remove the excess fat and the skin with the help of a sharp knife. Since we need to make a cylindrical shape to make a stuffed flank steak, I suggest you give the meat a square shape (you can use the leftover scraps for breakfast!)
Now take one hand, place it above the meat, insert the knife from the edge, and cut it horizontally. Make sure the thickness of the meat is not that wide but not as thin. The main objective is to cut it through without cutting the back edge.
Now, we know how to butterfly a flank steak, so let’s jump to the ingredients we need!
Butterfly A Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 pound 1 ½ pound depending on the need of the meat
- Butter or margarine
- Dry stuffing mix
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Green onions, minced
- Mushroom, or spinach (any one of your choice)
- Mushroom gravy
- Red wine
- Garlic clove, minced
- Grated or sliced cheese
- Bell pepper chopped(red)
Note: Before going to the cooking part, you have to prepare the meat first.
- Take the butterflied meat of ½ to ¼ inch or so to your liking.
- Lay the meat on a flat surface, with the help of a kitchen mallet, pound it gently. Make sure it becomes flat in the shape of a rectangle.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. This gives the advantage of seasoning it from the inside out. Let the flank steak soak up the seasoning for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
- Now, take the stuffing mix, butter, or margarine in a medium bowl and mix it nicely. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Now, take that stuffing mix and other moist ingredients if you wanna include your salad recipe or any type of cheese(entirely optional). Now stuff the spices as mentioned above on the meat and spread it. Leave a one-inch gap on both sides.
- Layer the cheese from top to bottom. It should be extremely thin.
- Roll the flank steak, make sure it is tight enough to retain the ingredients. Let it rest seam down and try to keep it intact. Start typing the entire steak with the help of a strong thread, measure the roll before tying. I recommend a kitchen twine, tied in an interval of one and a half inches. Insert a stick and slice the flank steak into a cylindrical shape.
- Use a separate bowl and combine the mushroom gravy, wine (or apple juice if you want) garlic cloves. Mix it gently and pour it over the steak.
- Put it in the oven, bake it at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
How To Make a Fajita Stuffed Grilled Flank Steak?
- Oil (olive oil)
- Red, green, and orange pepper chopped.
- Onion minced
- Taco seasoning (or your seasoning)
- Butterflied flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese (pepper jack cheese is preferred)
- Preheat the grill first and keep it in medium-high heat. You should preferably use a charcoal grill.
- Now take a pan, heat it and add some oil and let it shimmer a bit. Later add the peppers and onion and stir it till it becomes tender. Add the seasoning.
- Lay the steak, season it well, and spread some salt and pepper. Add the ingredients that were made before and leave them one inch from each side. Later add the slices of cheese.
- Roll the steak and keep it intact. Make sure the filling is inside and does not squeeze out of it. Then take a thread or kitchen twine and tie it up securely. Sprinkle the steak with some salt and pepper.
- Now, place the rolls of stuffed flank steak and grill it on both sides every 2-3 minutes. Then move the rolls where the heat is not direct, so make sure to keep the seam side of the roll facing up. This prevents the cheese from leaking.
- Keep grilling the steak as you prefer, as it depends on how you want it. Try to keep the temperature between 125 F – 130 F.
Having this fantastic meal with your loved ones at a gathering or dinner is the best thing one can have. I hope this article helps you cook this delicacy. How did it go? Do let us know in the comment section!