Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by Pauline
Did you know that round steak got its name from the portion of meat used for it and not the shape of the dish? Round steak is the dish prepared with the meat from the ’round’ of the hind leg of a cow. There are three different cuts of this portion of the beef. You will get the top round steak, the bottom round steak, and the eye (of) round steak. Yet to learn how to cook a beef top round steak? Read on for some of the best practices of how to cook round steak in the oven, stove, or
How To Cook Top Round Steak?
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper coarsely ground
- 1 Top Round Steak 1 1/2 inch thick, weighing about 2 to 3 pounds.
- Keep all the ingredients ready and in one place.
- Preheat the broiler for 10 to 15 minutes and place the rack on the top section of the oven.
- Make sure to position it in a way that the steak stays around 5 inches away from the heat source.
- Mix the kosher salt and freshly ground pepper with the olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Take the beef on a plate and sprinkle the oil mixture to cover it.
- Turn it around to cover the other side with the oil mixture as well.
- Rub in the oil and the salt-pepper mixture into the top round beef thoroughly. Ensure that each part of the steak is covered with the oil mixture properly.
- Oil the oven rack with the excess olive oil to ensure that the meat does not stick to the metal rods of the rack.
- Place the oven-proof pan on the rack and let it cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After 12 to 15 minutes, turn the beef over and cook the other side for another 10 to 12 minutes.
- You can cook it for longer if you want to beef to de done well.
- Now, take the cooked top round out of the oven and place it on a cutting board.
- You can use a sharp meat knife to cut the meat into thin slices.
- Serve hot and enjoy with a lager on the side or just as is.
Tips For making Top Round Steak Great
To know how to cook top-round steak like a pro, you can keep the following tips in mind.
- You can use different marinades for the steak. Adding sauces for cooking the top-round steak might make it juicier.
- To cook a medium-rare steak, you need to broil it at 145 degrees Fahrenheit for 26 to 28 minutes.
- For a medium steak, cook the meat for over 28 minutes at 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you want a steak done well, cook it over 30 minutes. However, do not cook it beyond 32 minutes.
- You can cook the beef over a thick gravy of onions and serve it over mashed potatoes for a complete meal. It helps to balance out the flavors and textures of the top-round beef.
How To Cook Top-round Steak On The Stove?
- 1 ½ pounds Top Round Steak
- 2 cloves minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (you can have this from the commercial stores)
- ½ tsp Basil dried
- ½ tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Salt or to taste
- ½ cup Water
- Take the meat in the broiler pan.
- Add the minced garlic, mushroom soup, oregano, basil, and salt with the meat.
- Cover the pan.
- Cook it on low flame for 6 to 7 hours.
- Serve this perfect dish hot.
How To Cook a Boneless, Top-round Steak?
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Ground paprika
- ¾ tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 pounds Beef top round boneless steak
- ½ cup Onion diced
- 1 can Cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Beef broth
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Black pepper Coarsely ground
- 1 cup Water
- You need to preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all the ingredients, including paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and flour, in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil at medium heat over the oven.
- Cook it on both sides for 7 to 8 minutes on each side.
- Saute the onions on the pan with the boneless top-round steak till it becomes tender. Make sure that both sides of the steak become brownish.
- Add the cream of chicken soup, beef broth, pepper, and water to make the gravy.
- Bring the gravy to boil, and once done, remove it from heat.
- Now, pour the gravy over a baking pan along with the beef and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Bake it in the preheated oven till the boneless top-round becomes soft and tender. It will roughly take 2 hours to get cooked perfectly.
- You can follow the whole procedure in a cooker instead of the oven if you wish to get the process done quicker. In a cooker, it takes around 50 minutes. However, the boneless top-round cooked in an oven and a cooker might vary in taste and texture slightly.
Try these recipes at home and let us know how you like them. Cook the top-round steak as you like, in gravy or not, and enjoy your afternoon either by itself or with a chilled lagger for the ultimate experience.