What’s convenient about the
Using this kitchen appliance to make
I’m going to show you a method for
Ham and Potato Soup Slow Cooker Recipe
- 8 cups of potatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ cup of celery, chopped
- 16 ounces of ham, cubed
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- ¼ cup of flour
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- ¼ tsp of ground black pepper
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 ½ cups of heavy cream
- To make this ham and potato soup slow cooker dish, start by adding the potatoes, ham, salt, pepper, chicken broth, carrot, celery, and onion to the slow cooker. You can mix them all together to ensure that everything combines for your soup.
- If you want to cook on a low heat setting, then cook for 7 to 8 hours. You can speed up the process and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Once everything is done cooking, mash up about a third of the potatoes to help thicken the soup. You can use a potato masher for this, and you don't have to worry much about the ham mashing, as it should be mostly unaffected.
- Add in heavy cream, sour cream, and flour. Mix everything together.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on the high setting for another 15 minutes.
Variations and Alterations
If you want to make this a lighter soup with fewer calories, you can use milk instead of heavy cream. If you follow the recipe, I think you will find this potato and ham soup
One variation that a lot of people like is a
You can make this with ham bone as well. To make ham bone and potato soup
Just be careful when you try to remove the bone, as the soup will be very hot.
You can make this with other meats as well, like turkey. Substituting the ham for turkey doesn’t really change the cooking time or the recipe. If you’re using cubes of turkey or shredded turkey, you can cook it exactly the same way as you would the ham and potato soup.
Another good substitute for the ham is chicken, which can be bought as cubes or shredded as well. Canned chicken works great in this and can simply be added to the soup right at the end before the last 15 minutes, since it is already cooked. You can also cook the canned chicken for the duration of the time, if you want, but that’s not necessary.
How to Fix Ham and Potato Soup When It Comes out Wrong
If your ham and potato soup is too thin, make sure you didn’t miss this stuff mashing the potatoes. This is the perfect way to thicken your soup. If it’s still too thin, you can add more potatoes and mash them in. You can also add cornstarch, which should be mixed with water before being added to the soup.
If the soup is too thick, you can thin it out with some milk or water. Be careful about adding much water to the soup, as it can dilute the flavour.
When making ham and potato soup,
Be sure to check all your ingredients before you add them to the
Making Ham and Potato Soup on the Stove Top
You probably came here to find the
You definitely want the pot to be big enough to accommodate soup, and the recipe I given you up above is for a large batch of soup.
To make this on the stovetop, you’ll need to make sure the potatoes cook all the way through. It will cook much faster on the stovetop than it does in the
The potatoes will probably take the longest, followed by the carrots. Potatoes can take about 20 minutes to cook, and the carrots take about 15. Everything else can be added in the last 10 minutes of cook time.
Once again, if your soup is not thick enough, you can mash up some of the potatoes or add potatoes to mash. Be sure to do this at the end of the cooking process, once the potatoes are soft and easy to measure.