Last Updated on 27th January 2023 by Pauline Loughlin
Chicken Marinara is one of the classic European recipes that has been around for centuries. The origin of the Chicken Marinara recipe is said to be inspired by various parts of old-world Italy.
Dating back as far as the 16th Century, the recipe has gone through numerous transformations. However, it remains one of the most favorite cuisines for Europeans and Americans alike.
Chicken Marinara is often served as a combination with pasta. The pairing not only brings out the flavor but also balances the taste beautifully. Pinot Noir or a light Merlot are the drinks to complement the platter perfectly.
Don’t you want to know how this brilliant yet simple recipe of Chicken Marinara is recreated years after years? Let’s learn how the combination of sauce, cheese, and chicken can create such an amazing potion.
How to Make Chicken Marinara
For the Chicken
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1.25 pound Boneless Chicken Breast cut into cutlet size pieces
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Breadcrumb
- 2 Egg
- ½ cup Flour
- Black Pepper
For the Marinara Sauce
- ½ cup Finely chopped basil leaves
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- ¾ cup Chopped shallots
- ½ cup Sliced Mushroom
- 4 gloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp Oregano
- 1 ½ Tomato Puree or Paste
The Chicken Marinara Sauce recipe
- Heat olive oil in a large deep dish skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, garlic and saute for a few minutes until golden brown
- Add the Tomato Paste, mushrooms, and chopped basil and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high heat
The Chicken Parmesan recipe
- Pat and dry the chicken cutlets and place them on a large tray.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk the two eggs and add a pinch of salt, and set aside.
- In another shallow bowl, add half a teaspoon of salt and black pepper to the flour and mix well.
- In a third shallow bowl, mix and spread out breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Place the chicken slices in the flour mixture and cover it well with a thin coating. Pat the excess flour off
- Dip the flour-coated chicken slice in the egg solution and then follow it by placing it in the breadcrumbs and cheese mixture.
- ensure that you coat the slices completely with the breadcrumb and cheese mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Saute the chicken cutlet for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large baking tray, spread half of the Marinara sauce evenly and place the chicken cutlet.
- Coat the chicken Cutlet with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Top it with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese and let it cook in the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tips For Making The Chicken Marinara Recipe Taste Great
Chicken Marinara has the flavors and goodness of tomato, herbs, and cheese.
Once your chicken is done, garnishing it with finely chopped parsley and basil will enhance its taste further.
One of the best ways of serving Chicken Marinara is combining it with freshly cooked Spaghetti. In a deep flat dish, place one serving of pasta and add a generous dollop of the marinara sauce. Follow it by placing the cheesy Chicken Parmesan Cutlet on the top. Finish it off with a pinch of basil, thyme, parsley, and black pepper. Chicken Spaghetti marinara is perhaps the most favorite combination all over the world.
The juiciest and most tender meat in a whole chicken is the Breast portion, which is why most people prefer making the chicken breast marinara recipe.
How To Make A Chicken Marinara Crock Pot Recipe
There is a very easy and effortless yet delicious choice for a lazy getaway weekend. The chicken marinara crockpot recipe is a quick and least bothersome choice for a quiet Sunday dinner, especially if you have a picky eater at home.
In a slow crockpot, add the marinara sauce and the raw chicken slices. Ensure to coat the slices very well with the sauce. Top it off with a generous drizzle of mozzarella and parmesan. Let it slowly cook on low heat for a few hrs. The marinara sauce will seep through the chicken slices and add enhanced flavor to the final cooked product.
Serve hot with a sprinkle of chopped basil and oregano flakes.
How To Make the Baked Chicken Marinara Recipe
Most of the recipe for chicken marinara involves shallow frying the chicken slices in oil. However, for health-conscious individuals, the baked chicken marinara recipe is one of my favorites. The breadcrumb and cheese-coated chicken cutlets are baked for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the cheese on the surface has melted and the cutlet appears golden brown, it is set aside to cool. The prepared marinara sauce is poured on the baked chicken cutlets and cooked at 400 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit for another 15 to 18 minutes.
The chicken Marinara recipe is the perfect solution for freshers in the world of cooking. There is simply nothing worth going wrong in this simple yet mouth-watering age-old cuisine.
So, put on your cooking apron and let the experiment begin!
I'm Pauline, a retired patisserie chef, mother of four and now a full time food blogger! When i'm not cooking i love long walks, reading thriller novels and spending time with my grandkids. Head to my about me page to learn more about the woman behind the food! You can find my Facebook here