Meatballs are a very versatile dish!
It is also a versatile ingredient that you could add to dishes ranging from soups, pasta, pizzas, sandwiches, and even tacos.
That is why my family and I really enjoy digging in on these very juicy balls of meat.
However, there is one particular variation of meatball that the five of us in our house really love to munch on—chicken meatballs!
I guess what we love about chicken meatballs is that they are very tender and juicy to begin with. Moreover, chicken meatballs are also lighter than other meatballs like pork or beef meatballs. But, I guess what makes chicken meatballs my favorite kind of meatball is that they are very easy to prepare.
In this article, I will share my recipe on how to make healthier chicken meatballs and how to make chicken meatballs for both soup and spaghetti—both of which are our favorite hearty meals to share moments!
If you’re wondering why I cook my chicken meatballs from scratch instead of buying ready-made versions from the grocery store, homemade food just tastes better than store-bought ones.
With that out of the way, let’s make some chicken meatballs!
How to Make Chicken Meatballs
Before we get into the specifics, if you are wondering how to make ground chicken meatballs, just know that the main ingredient in making chicken meatballs is ground chicken! You could do this by buying from your local store or making one by purchasing chicken breast and grinding them in your kitchen.
If you want to know how to make chicken meatballs that are healthier than your usual pan-fried ones, then the suggested route is to bake them.
Moreover, you could make your baked chicken meatballs even healthier by adjusting them according to vegan, paleo, or keto recipes.
In this article’s case, I have decided to make our healthy baked chicken meatballs by incorporating the recipe into a keto-diet (low-carbohydrate) one. This means that in this article, we will learn how to make chicken meatballs without breadcrumbs.
In making this version of chicken meatballs, it’s best to have the following ingredients:
- One lb. ground chicken
- One large egg
- ¾ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1-½ tablespoon of olive oil
- One teaspoon of garlic powder
- One teaspoon of onion powder
- One teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of freshly-chopped parsley
As for the procedure, it is best to preheat your oven to about 400 degrees. While doing so, prepare the baking sheet with a foil applied with non-stick cooking spray.
Once done, you can start preparing your healthy keto chicken meatballs.
- The first step is to add the ground chicken, parmesan cheese, (vegetable, canola, or) olive oil, fresh parsley, and spices to a large bowl.
- Mix the ingredients above with your hands until they are all incorporated. It’s best not to overwork your mixture, or else your meatballs’ texture will be altered. In other words, do not over-mix!
- Once done, let the chicken meatball mixture rest for about 10 minutes.
- Start forming your keto chicken meatballs. If you are using your hands, lightly grease your palms with olive oil before placing the rolled chicken meatballs onto your prepared baking sheet. You could also use a large spoon or scooper.
- Make sure that the meatballs are at least two inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Place the chicken meatballs inside the oven and bake for about 25 minutes until their color is golden brown. Serve while hot!
How to Keep Chicken Meatballs Moist?
Even though chicken meatballs are known for their juiciness, it is unavoidable that some of them may lose their moisture.
Hence, to keep your chicken meatballs moist, thoroughly mix the meatballs with the eggs.
If you’re using a recipe about how to cook chicken meatballs with breadcrumbs, then just make sure that the meat, eggs, and breadcrumbs are mixed and evenly distributed.
It also helps if your chicken meat is lean, about 93% to 95% learner, so that it has moisture.
How to Make Chicken Meatballs for Soup?
It’s now time for me to share my recipe for making chicken meatball soup.
- The first step is to make the chicken meatballs according to the recipe and procedure above.
- Over medium heat, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large stockpot. Gradually add the chicken meatballs into the stockpot; cook until the meatballs’ sides have browned. Set aside when done.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil into the stockpot. Saute garlic, onion, carrots, and celery until they become tender. Add thyme afterward to make the soup fragrant.
- Gently add the chicken broth and bay leaves to the stockpot and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken meatballs and the other spices you’d like to flavor your soup.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes until everything is cooked thoroughly.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
How to Make Chicken Meatballs for Spaghetti?
As for my chicken spaghetti meatball recipe, just follow the following procedure:
- Make chicken meatballs according to the outlined recipe and procedure above.
- In a pan, saute onion until it softens. Add garlic and crushed red pepper afterward.
- Carefully add crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper into the pan. Simmer for at least 10 minutes, and then add the meatballs.
- Reduce the heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add to the pasta.
Top with fresh parsley, and then serve!
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Meatballs
If the batch of chicken meatballs you just made has a lot of extras, then it’s best to store them in a freezer—that if you are planning to eat them for a later date or occasion.
If that’s the case, then you would have to cook them.
To ensure that you can safely eat frozen chicken meatballs, just make sure that they are heated through and through for about 12 minutes, particularly in an oven.
You could also check the temperature of the frozen meatball you are heating. A frozen chicken meatball is ready for cooking once its internal temperature is about 165 degrees while you’re reheating it.
So there you have it! Our family’s favorite chicken meatball dishes and how to cook a healthier variation of chicken meatballs from scratch.
Remember that the ingredients you can always interchange the components of the outlined recipes! Just make sure that your chicken is fresh!
How long should I oven cook my meatballs for if they are unfrozen? It’s a good ideal to use a thermometer to measure the internal temperature of your meatballs and ensure that you cook them for at least 40mins at 400F