Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by
The name suggests that it is a Hawaiian dish, which is partly true. In reality, this dish is thought to have originated in Spitalfields, United Kingdom, in the 17th century. It was known to be a comfort food for the British back then.
It had a rich flavor and taste, and the broth had several nutrients. Today, you will find many kinds of recipes of oxtail soup from across the world, and each one of them is unique. We will discuss the authentic recipe in the following sections.
Hawaiian Oxtail Soup Recipe
- 3 to 4 pounds Oxtails
- 4 cups Chicken broth:
- 1 small-size Ginger peeled, and chopped into thin slices
- 4 whole pieces Star Anise
- ½ orange Orange Peel
- 2 rehydrated Shiitake Mushroom
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns whole
- 1 pound Mustard Greens chopped
- Lime wedges
- Red Pepper Flakes crushed
- 1 chopped Green onions
- Cilantro chopped
- To begin this Hawaiian Oxtail Soup Recipe, you need to preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, place the oxtails on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes in the oven. Be sure to turn it over after 30 minutes so all sides of the oxtail get cooked.
- While the oxtail is baking, grab a bowl and soak the dried shiitake mushroom to rehydrate. Use hot water for this purpose.
- Remove the oxtails from the oven after 45 minutes and put them in a pot.
- Then add the mushroom, star anise, ginger, orange peels, peppercorn, and chicken broth to the broth pot.
- Add water to submerge all the ingredients, and set to boil. The amount of water should be about 9 to 10 cups.
- Once the broth starts to boil, add the mixture, and then simmer and cook until the oxtails become tender.
- Cook and simmer for 3 hours and remove the froth or oil formed on the broth pan.
- Use a strainer and strain the broth in a pan to separate the ingredients from the liquid broth.
- Serve the oxtail in bowls. Discard any additional ingredients.
- Reheat the whole soup again, and once it starts to boil, add the fish sauce and salt to taste.
- You can now add the mustard greens for cooking as well.
- Garnish the soup with lemon wedges, cilantro, ginger slices, and green onions.
Tips For Making Hawaiian Oxtail Soup Great
To ensure the authenticity of the Hawaiian Oxtail soup, you need to keep in mind a few points while preparing the dish. Some of the tips are listed below:
- If you are using oxtail directly out of the freezer before cooking, make sure to increase the cooking time by 15 minutes so that the oxtails are thawed.
- You can use raw peanuts in the dish if you like. It is an ingredient that is part of the authentic Oxtail Soup Recipe Hawaiian Style.
- The dipping sauce can be made of ginger, cilantro, and shoyu.
- Traditionally the Hawaiian Oxtail soup is served with some rice. Cook the rice and keep it aside for serving.
- When you add the orange peel to the dish, make sure that the white part of the peel is removed before using.
- If you are using dried shiitake mushroom, keep it in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes before cooking.
- Oxtails can be procured in bulk and frozen to store for a long time.
- You can season the dish with Hawaiian sea salt and fish sauce to add the authentic flavor of this local dish of Hawaii.
Oxtail soup recipe Hawaiian Style
- 2 pounds Oxtails
- 2 whole pieces
- 1 Orange Peel dried and shredded
- 1 inch Ginger thinly sliced
- ½ cup Shelled peanuts (You can use roasted, unsalted peanuts also)
- 2 cups Mustard Greens
- ¼ tsp Chilli Pepper Flakes
- Cilantro Chopped for garnish
- 4 tsp Ginger grated for garnish
- 2 pcs Green onions chopped for garnish
- Take a large pot and fill it with water
- Add the oxtails to the water and parboil them for 30 minutes.
- Oil and excess fat will start forming a foam layer on the water surface, removing them.
- Add the star anise, orange peel, ginger, and salt to the boiling mixture and cook them at a simmer.
- Keep it at a simmer for 1 hour to cook the oxtails till tender.
- Add the peanuts to the pot and boil it for another 2 to 3 hours.
- To decide if the cooking is complete, check for meat falling off the bones. If this is seen, be sure that the oxtails are cooked to perfection.
- Keep skimming the fat from the boiling mixtures periodically. Having fat in the dish will alter the taste.
- Add the mustard greens and chili pepper flakes.
- Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the mustard greens become tender.
- Remove the pot from the stove and garnish it with green onions, ginger, and cilantro to serve.
Hawaiian Oxtail Soup Recipe In A Pressure Cooker
For cooking the oxtail soup in a pressure cooker, the ingredients and processes remain the same. The only difference in this method is that once you cook the oxtail for the first time in the cooker for around 10 minutes, remove them from the heat and release the pressure. Rinse the fat from the oxtail and place it in the cooker again for the rest of the process.
Nutritional Facts Of Hawaiian Oxtail Soup
Oxtail soup does not have rich flavors on its own but it does have good nutrient values. It contains considerable quantities of Trans fat, dietary fiber, Vitamin C, B1, B3, B9, E, Zinc, Magnesium, Iron, and more.
Follow some of the Best Hawaiian Oxtail Soup Recipes, and satiate your hungry soul.
I'm Pauline, a retired patisserie chef, mother of four and now a full time food blogger! When i'm not cooking i love long walks, reading thriller novels and spending time with my grandkids. Head to my about me page to learn more about the woman behind the food! You can find my Facebook here