Sometimes, all we need is a traditional, favourite recipe, mixed up a bit to make something new. That’s why many people always ask about how to make funnel cake with pancake batter.
Well, dear food lovers, prepare your hearts to be filled with something great, and let’s cook together a nice funnel cake batter with pancake mix!
Table of Contents
What Is Funnel Cake?
Funnel cake is a type of doughnut. It’s made with batter and fried to get those warm and crispy confections.
Some people argue that funnel cake was created by Persians then spread by the Pennsylvania Dutch. Others agree that it was the Pennsylvania Dutch who created the recipe.
Funnel cake gets its name from the fact that you have to pour the batter in a funnel and release it into the oil to get its confections.
The calories in funnel cake vary according to the toppings you add to it. Ordinary, topping-free funnel cake would have about 300-360 calories. The calories in its toppings can add up to 700 calories to it, making the richest funnel cake carry about 1000 calories.
The toppings that can be added to funnel cake are powdered sugar, syrups, cinnamon, and ice cream. Of course, some people like to add pieces of fruit, especially strawberries, to their funnel cake.
How to Make Funnel Cake Batter with Pancake Mix?
You may have come across various recipes for funnel cake made with pancake batter, but let’s view one of the easiest of these recipes.
Funnel Cake Batter With Pancake Mix
- 8-inch frying pan
- A funnel, a plastic bottle with a 4-inch nozzle, or a plastic sandwich bag
- Plate with paper towels
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
Heat the Oil
- While you’re preparing the recipe, start heating the vegetable oil for frying. It’s best to heat it under a 360-375 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. You’ll need enough oil to fill about half an ordinary 8-inch frying pan.
Whisk the Ingredients
- Get any ordinary bowl you have, and pour the pancake mix in it. Add the sugar, water, and vanilla extract to the bowl and start whisking everything together.
- Make sure you whisk until your batter is as thick as cake batter. This means that it shouldn’t be too smooth and thin or too gummy. Your batter should form ribbons when it falls from the whisk.
- Pour your batter into one of these options: a funnel, a plastic squeezing bottle with a 4-inch nozzle, or a plastic sandwich bag, but make sure to cut off its corner to pour the batter back from it. You should use about ½ a cup of batter per time.
- Before you start frying, make sure the oil is heated well enough by pouring a small dot of batter into it. If the oil is ready, the batter will float and you’ll see bubbles by its edges with no burning.
- When the oil is ready, release the batter from the object where you poured it into the oil. Keep stirring in circles and wait until its bottom is golden brown then turn the funnel cake to the other side and wait for it to be golden brown as well. The first side should take about 1-2 minutes and the other should take about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Once you’re done frying, put the funnel cake on a plate covered with paper towels to release any extra oil. Then, you can sprinkle the powdered sugar over the cake and serve it. It should be served while it’s warm.
How to Make Pancake Batter at Home?
Before you decide between two of the most delicious recipes ever, you may need to know how to make your own pancake batter from scratch. Don’t worry; it’s a very easy recipe as well. Let’s go!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Just put all these ingredients together in a bowl and keep mixing them together until the batter is smooth.
Then, you’ll have your homemade pancake batter ready in no time. You can choose to proceed to make traditional pancakes or use the pancake batter to make funnel cake and try something new.
How to Make Traditional Funnel Cake Without Pancake Batter?
Making traditional funnel cake isn’t much different from making funnel cake batter with pancake mix. The main change is in the ingredients.
With pancake batter, you already have a big part of the ingredients prepared. Otherwise, you have to add the ingredients which would have been already there in the pancake mix.
Funnel Cake Without Pancake Batter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Now, you’ll repeat the exact steps we discussed when making funnel cake batter with pancake batter. Whisk the ingredients, fry the cake, sprinkle the sugar, and enjoy your meal!
It’s always good to do something new with whatever you have. If you have buttermilk pancake batter and don’t feel like eating pancakes, you can mix things up and make funnel cake.
It’s a simple recipe and won’t take much of your time, and it allows you to break free from traditional recipes.
Can I use any pancake batter to make funnel cake?
Yes, you can use any pancake batter to make funnel cake. However, you might want to slightly thin the batter with a bit of milk or water so it can easily pass through the funnel and fry up crispy.
What tools do I need to make funnel cake with pancake batter at home?
To make funnel cake at home, you will need a funnel, a deep pot for frying, and a slotted spoon for flipping and removing the funnel cake. You’ll also need paper towels for draining the cakes, and a sieve or dusting wand to sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
How can I ensure my pancake batter funnel cake is crispy and not soggy?
To ensure your pancake batter funnel cake turns out crispy and not soggy, make sure your oil is heated to the right temperature before you start frying. A deep-frying thermometer can be helpful here. The oil should be around 375°F (190°C). If the oil is not hot enough, the batter will absorb too much oil and become soggy. Also, do not overcrowd the pan, as this can lower the temperature of the oil. Drain the cakes on paper towels after frying to remove any excess oil.