Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by Pauline
Rice is a staple food in India. However, its history goes a long way. Its origins remain untraceable. Some historians reported that the Chinese cultivated rice near the Yangtze River. It started 8,200 to 15,000 years ago. Indians began domesticating rice along the river Ganges.
The Indians prefer gravy, fried potato, and lentils as side dishes. Non-vegetarians make a chicken curry to eat with rice. Many people consume lassi( a curd-based drink) or fruity drinks with it. However, some also prefer blended scotch and white wines.
How To Make Indian Rice
Wondering what to make for lunch? In this article, you’ll find the recipe on how to make egg-fried rice Indian style at your home hassle-free. Unlike many dishes, egg-fried rice contains only 130 calories. So you can enjoy the dish and eat healthily.
There are numerous benefits of basmati rice. It is long tender-grained rice, rich in fiber. It aids heart diseases and reduces cholesterol levels.
The recipe is simple and easy to follow. Cook your dish in minutes and enjoy the splendid blend of flavors right at home. The ingredients for this are easily available in the nearby departmental stores. These are affordable. You can try out different meals by adding various spices.
Check out the authentic Indian egg-fried rice recipe below:
Indian Rice Recipe
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Rosewater or vanilla extract
- Unsalted pistachios
- 2 pcs Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- The first and foremost thing is to wash the rice in a large bowl. Drain the water using a strainer. Repeat the step 3 times until the water is no more translucent. It rinses out any starch and dirt on the grains.
- Add the rice to cold water and let it soak for 30 to 45 minutes. This step is necessary as it reduces the boiling time for the rice. Do not boil it for too long otherwise; the rice grains might break.
- In a large saucepan, Boil half a saucepan full of water. Add salt and vinegar in the first 3 minutes of boiling. While doing this, reduce the heat to lower settings. Since the water boils rapidly on high heat, your container is likely to get burned.
- Add the rice to the water. Add cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon instantly. Simmer until the grains have become tender and have soaked up the flavors of the spices. Now, with the help of a strainer, drain the water.
- After draining, make sure that there is no water left in the saucepan. Add salt and oil to the rice. Heat the rice over medium heat.
- Transfer the rice to a pot and close it with an air-tight lid. Heat the pot on medium to low settings. While steaming, you will hear a sizzling sound. This is the rice getting cooked.
- If the rice still holds some water, it will convert to steam due to heating. Turn off the heat and let it steam for 5 minutes more. This will cook the rice through the pot.
- Meanwhile, break 2 to 3 eggs in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Whisk them. On a pan, pour the mixture and cook on medium to high heat. Set the eggs aside.
- Add the chili flakes, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and onions and saute in a large skillet. Saute until the onions are soft and have turned brown. Cook them for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the boiled rice, eggs, and turmeric to the spices. Combine all the ingredients. The result will be an aromatic dish ready to serve.
Tips For Making Egg-fried Rice Great
After the dish is ready, add some coriander leaves to decorate. You can add more salt as per taste.
Add the pistachios evenly all over the dish.
You can prepare gravy on the side. Dice the potatoes and boil them. In a saucepan, add the spices and cook them. You can also add some mustard. Add water and combine them to get a potato gravy. Along with the gravy, you can include yogurt to complete the dish.
Non-vegetarians can prepare chicken or mutton gravy on the side. Red wines, Shivas, and Jack Daniels, go best with the dish. You can also serve it with soft drinks and fruit juices or lassi.
There are a lot of variants of fried rice. You can prepare as per your taste. An alternative to the recipe mentioned above is to make vegan rice for vegetarians. Just follow the steps for how to make fried rice Indian style. Below mentioned are some quick and easy steps.
How To Make Fried Rice Indian Style?
All you need to do is cook the basmati rice with cumin seeds, bay leaf, and cloves for 15 to 20 minutes. You can add turmeric powder if you like. Ignore the eggs mentioned above.
You can make another fried rice by following the recipe on how to make Indian yellow rice here. Do not add the eggs. The remaining procedure is the same. Do add turmeric to give the rice a yellow effect.
How To Make Indian Rice Pudding?
You can also follow the recipe of how to make Indian rice pudding to make instant dessert at home. In India, The dish is popularly known as kheer. Boil milk in a saucepan on medium to high heat. Add cardamom, cinnamon stick, sugar, and rosewater. Add the soaked basmati rice to the saucepan. Stir gently over medium to low heat and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
The volume of milk in the container decreases. It takes 30 minutes tops for the rice to milk. Cook to thicken the consistency. Garnish it with diced cashew or almonds. Enjoy the dish hot or cold.