Vegetable pie originated in Medieval Europe, but the sweet potato pie is a traditional dish of the Southern United States. You will hear about sweet potato crust pie in America during the holiday season, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.
There is no crusty top layer. You will see several Sweet pie crust recipes in the different households of the Southern United States. Some of the basic sweet pie crust recipes are as below.
Sweet Pie Crust Recipe
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Vegetable Shortening
- ¼ cup Butter
- Butter for pie plate: As required
- ½ Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 3-5 tbsp Ice Water
- Butter the skillet or pie plate thoroughly and leave it aside
- Take flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the shortening and butter. You can use a fork to blend them as well.
- Ensure that the mixture becomes like a thick, coarse mass.
- Add the water slowly to the mixture, and continuously stir with a wooden spoon to form the dough.
- The dough is to be added to the floured sheet to form a thick layer.
- Sprinkle some dough on top of the dough as well.
- Place another floured sheet on top of it and start rolling it with a pin.
- Once made into a thin sheet of about 1/8th inches, remove the top floured sheet.
- Roll it over on the other side to remove the bottom layer of the flour sheet.
- Put the rolled pie dough into the pie plate.
- Now, cover the pie plate with a thin lid and keep it in the freezer for 30 to 35 minutes. You can leave it overnight for better results.
- Before you set it for baking, use a fork to prick holes on the lower end of the pie dough place it into the pie plate.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the pie crust for 8 to 9 minutes for a perfectly crusty finish.
Tips For Making Sweet Pie Crust Recipe Great
- If you are making an all-butter pie crust, make sure that you enough butter to give the taste.
- If you want additional flavor on your sweet potato pie crust, you can add a dash of salt and pepper to it.
- In your homemade Sweet pie crust recipe, you can add cumin, paprika, and garlic powder for the unique taste too.
- It is best to boil the sweet potatoes for cooking the pie crust. It retains most of the nutrient value of the vegetable, making it a healthy option.
- To remove the fiber from the sweet potatoes before cooking, use a hand blender.
- Sprinkle the pie dough with flour while rolling it otherwise, it will stick to the pin and tear off.
Sweet Potato Pie Crust Recipe From Scratch
If you wish to prepare a sweet potato pie crust from scratch, ensure that you have all the ingredients in place before you begin the process. You need a hand
Sweet Pie Crust Recipe With Butter
- 1 ¼ cup All-purpose flour: You might require some extra while rolling the dough.
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- 7-8 tbsp Chilled unsalted butter
- 2-3 tbsp Ice water
- Whisk the flour, salt, and sugar into a bowl and make sure they are mixed perfectly.
- Add half portion of the butter into the bowl of the flour mixture. It will form a coarse mixture.
- Add some ice-cold water to the mixture and knead it as the clumps start to form.
- Ensure that the dough holds together. On adding the water, it should not form a runny paste-like structure.
- Flatten the dough on the table and add more butter if you like.
- Lay it flat on the table and sprinkle some flour on it.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Roll the dough to form a thin layer.
- Line the pie pan with it a fork it to form holes.
Sweet Pie Crust Recipe Without Shortening
For making sweet potato pie crust without shortening, you need to add only the flour salt, and sugar to prepare the dough. Ensure that the dough is tight enough to stay together.
Sweet Potato Pie With Graham Cracker Crust Recipe
- 12 sheets Graham Crackers
- ¼ cups Pecan Chopped
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 10 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 large Sweet Potatoes
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- ⅔ cup Milk
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- Roast the sweet potatoes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.
- Cool the sweet potatoes
- Crumble the graham crackers.
- Mix the crumbled crackers with the pecans.
- Add ¼ cup brown sugar and butter to it and mix well.
- Add parchment paper and butter the pie pan.
- Add the graham cracker mixture into the pan and pack it down.
- Bake it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes and leave aside to cool
- Prepare the pie filling by mixing the sweet potatoes, heavy cream, butter, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the vanilla extract and milk to form a smooth paste.
- Fill the cooled pie and bake it for 1 hour at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Freeze it to complete.
Have a great time trying the different easy Sweet pie crust recipes at home!