Last Updated on 31st January 2023 by Pauline Loughlin
How To Serve Horseradish
- You can prepare the Horseradish sauce by grating the root. Also, you can serve this sauce with any kind of grilled meat such as pork, beef. In addition, you can consume this sauce with any type of vegetable which has a strong flavor and taste. Other than sauce, you can also prepare flavored butter, sour cream relishes, and vinaigrettes from horseradish.
- Horseradish can be used as a fresh herb and also in pickled form.
- If you are planning to prepare any kind of salad, then you can add horseradish to it.
- Some people also add horseradish in the cocktail sauce along with chili sauce and tomato ketchup.
- There are mainly two types of ready-to-serve horseradish available in the market. Want to know how to prepare horseradish for canning? It is simple, and you will find red horseradish in the grated form in beef juice. On the other hand, when grated horseradish is mixed with vinegar, it is known as white bottled horseradish.
You might have seen horseradish in the market and often wondered how to prepare it. In early spring and late fall, horseradish becomes widely available in the market. Horseradish is the root part of the plant, and it has a very significant pungent.
The scent will reach your nose when you scratch the surface or grate it. This smell is very similar to the smell of mustard oil. If you do not know how to prepare horseradish, well, you need not worry. In this article, I will share some ways to cook horseradish.
After cooking, the mild flavor of horseradish remains in the dish. Experts often advise adding horseradish in a recipe towards the end of the cooking to retain the mild flavor of the herb.
How To Prepare Horseradish
- Wash the horseradish after buying it from the market. After that, peel the skin off and remove the tasteless core of the herb full of fiber.
- Next, cut the horseradish into small pieces.
- After that, sprinkle a tiny amount of lemon juice and vinegar mixed with water all over the pieces of horseradish.
- Please put it in a food processor. If the mixture comes out too liquidy, then you need to drain the excess amount of water.
- Store the grated horseradish in a jar. Use a rubber spatula to transfer the mixture to a jar from the processor.
Things To Remember While Preparing Horseradish
- Cut only the exact amount of horseradish that you need for cooking. Well, this will prevent the horseradish from turning brown.
- Peel properly and check before grating so that no green areas are there.
- Keep your eyes away from the grated mixture to avoid getting tears in your eyes.
In the following section, we will discuss some of the best ways to make it easy for you to understand how to prepare horseradish root for Passover.
You can use horseradish butter on top of the vegetables to make them taste better.
- Grate the cut horseradish pieces finely.
- Then mix the grated root of horseradish with butter.
Wasabi is a plant that falls in the same category and botanical family of horseradish. Wasabi is mainly found in Japan. If you cannot find wasabi to make sauce or wasabi paste, you can use horseradish instead.
- Grate the chopped horseradish thoroughly.
- Add one teaspoonful of mustard to grated horseradish.
- After that, add two or three drops of soy sauce to that paste.
- Other than that, chop one anchovy and put it into the mixture.
Horseradish Sour Cream
Sour cream is a thick substance that is used to make cakes, rolls, and cookies. The acidic nature of the sour cream makes the bakery products fluffy and soft. But the sour horseradish cream is mainly consumed with roasted beef or roasted pork ribs.
- Take 1 cup of sour cream and mix 2 to 3 three tablespoons of fresh horseradish to it. You can use sour cream instead of whipped cream.
- Other than that, sometimes salt, vinegar, and lemon juice are also added. This mixture is served cold with asparagus or any kind of roasted meat.
Horseradish Barbeque Sauce
Whenever a slice of meat is cooked by following barbeque cooking style, barbeque sauce is a must-needed ingredient.
- After preparing the barbeque sauce, take 2 cups of it.
- Then add two tablespoons of grated horseradish, and horseradish barbeque sauce will be designed instantly.
Other than all these recipes, you can also prepare horseradish mustard, horseradish mayonnaise, and even horseradish applesauce by using grated horseradish.
Nutritional Benefits Of Horseradish
There are several nutritional benefits that you can gain after consuming horseradish. Whenever you use grated horseradish per serving, you will receive
- 0.4 gm of protein
- A high amount of Vitamin C, almost 15.6 mg
- Minerals such as Calcium (14.4 mg), Potassium (75.9mg), Sodium (59.4 mg), along with few others.
- You will get a total of 11.8 calories.
- 2.5 gms of carbohydrate.
In simple words, there are two types of people, those who love to have horseradish and others who will not eat the food if horseradish is present on the dining table in any form. If you fall in the first category, prepare the grated horseradish and use it in the ways mentioned above to satisfy your taste buds and get a happy tummy.