Last Updated on 7th March 2022 by
Did you know that oysters were the main food source for the people of South Africa almost 10,000 years ago?
Do you want to have the world’s best oyster? If yes, France is the first place that comes to mind. Oysters found in the Delta de l’Ebre have the sweetness of River Ebro and a pinch of saltiness of the Mediterranean Sea. The world’s best oyster dish is the Oyster Mosca, rolled oyster, the Veracruz-Style oyster, and many more.
There are numerous ways of preparing oysters. Serve it grilled, saute it with lemon, garlic, and butter or roast it on an open flame to get the smoky effect hard to resist.
Read the article below for some of the easiest Oyster dishes and their recipes. Learning the right method of How to cook oysters is mentioned below.
How To Cook Grill Oyster: Recipe In Detail
How to cook oysters on a grill is a question that comes to mind when you want to have grilled oysters for dinner. Read the instructions below and cook this mouthwatering dish and surprise your loved ones.
Grill Oysters In Five Simple Steps
- ½ ounce Oysters
- Melted butter for coating the oyster
- Chopped herbs as per choice (parsley, cilantro, chive, or all)
- Oyster crackers for serving
- In a bowl, mix salted butter and the herbs of your choice.
- shuck the oysters and remove the top shell.
- grill the oyster either on a baking sheet, or you can also put the shell side down on the grate.
- Coat each oyster with a mix of butter and chopped herbs. Heat the grill machine at 450 degrees and grill the oysters for at least five minutes till it is simmering hot.
- Finally, remove the oysters from the grill and serve them hot with oyster crackers for that extra taste.
How To Cook Mountain Oysters?
- 1 Bull testicle
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Wheat flour for coating the testicles
- 2 tbsp Oil
- peel off the skin of the testicles
- cut it into thin slices.
- coat it with flour, salt, and pepper and deep fry in hot oil until crunchy.
- serve with it white sauce or marshmallow sauce and any cocktail of your choice. I bet it is the best-fried mountain oysters that are crunchy, juicy, and salty. When in Denver, do try it out in the Buckhorn Exchange.
How To Cook Fresh Oysters At Home?
- 1 ounce of fresh oysters without shell
- 1 whole garlic cut into long slices
- 1 tbsp of ginger thinly cut
- 4-5 tbsp of cornflour
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- ½ tsp of sea salt MSG
- tbsp of white pepper
- 1 tbsp of cornflour for seasoning
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 2-3 tsp of soy sauce
- A handful of green onions is cut into long pieces( keep the green and the white part separately).
- Boiling water to cook the oysters
- Wash the oysters with running water. Add cornflour and give it a quick mix. Try not to break the oyster while mixing.
- Now wash the oysters coated with cornflour to remove the impurities (if any).
- Let the oysters dry till then prepare all the seasoning. Add salt, pepper, MSG, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and cornflour in a bowl.
- Boil the oysters in boiling water for a minute and take them out to not overcook.
- heat oil in a frying pan and add ginger and garlic to it. Saute it, and then add the white part of the spring onions. Finally, add the boiled oysters and mix the seasoning with the other ingredients.
- Finally, let it cook for 30 seconds and then add the green part of the spring onions and the stir fry fresh oysters are ready to be served.
How To Cook Baked Oysters?
- 1 bowl of shuck oysters
- 1 tbsp of Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp of Dry herbs (oregano, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, basil, and onion powder. A mix of these herbs is popularly known as creole seasoning)
- place a baking sheet on a baking tray and keep the shuck oysters on it.
- grate both the parmesan and the cheddar cheese on top of each oyster and add a pinch of creole seasoning. Then add some parsley and bake it for two minutes.
- melting cheese, dry herbs, parsley, and the fresh oyster is a great combination. But, make sure that the cheese does not overpass the taste of the fresh oyster.
You can serve the baked oyster with lemon salad or lemon wedges. It can be a melting mouth starter for house parties.
How To Shuck Oysters?
Shucking oysters at home can be tricky as well messy. But, if you follow a few tips, you can become a pro, and that is for sure.
Tip 1: One of the most important steps of shucking is to rinse the oysters in running water. This helps to loosen the shells.
Tip 2: There are shucking knives available in the market grab one if you are an oyster lover.
Tip 3: Another essential tip is to use a dishtowel while shucking oysters. It keeps you safe and helps you to apply pressure to open up the oyster shell.
Steps To Shuck An Oyster:-
- Place the dishtowel on the kitchen counter. Now place the oyster on it, cover half the oyster with it, and remember to put your hand on top of the covered half.
- Take the shucking knife, put it into the small opening of the oyster, and try to twist it circularly.
- This will help remove the oyster’s joint and help remove the top shell of the oyster easily.
- If the circular motion does not work, try inward and outward motion to pop the V shape opening of the oyster.
- Remember not to waste the liquor present inside the oyster that makes it taste juicy while removing the top shell.
I'm Pauline, a retired patisserie chef, mother of four and now a full time food blogger! When i'm not cooking i love long walks, reading thriller novels and spending time with my grandkids. Head to my about me page to learn more about the woman behind the food! You can find my Facebook here
Thursday 19th of August 2021
This was my first time making any type of oyster at home, and I loved them! It felt so decadent to enjoy these on my porch instead of in a restaurant. I got a few dozen from a place I found on Quality Seafood Delivery's resource (http://qualityseafooddelivery.com/oysters) and couldn't be happier.