Last Updated on 27th January 2023 by Pauline Loughlin
Shrimp Po boy is quite popular in the state of Louisiana. But you don’t need to visit Louisiana to try this incredible sandwich. Instead, you can prepare it at home and enjoy it from afar.
All you have to do is spice the shrimp and fry them. Then put the fried shrimps in Louisiana bread along with a few veggies.
The shrimp Po boy is quite similar to your ordinary sandwich, but the difference lies in the filling and, of course, the bread. The Louisiana bread is unique.
The inside is soft and the crust is a bit crispy. If you aren’t able to find Louisiana bread, you can substitute it with French bread. If you have ingredients readily at home, the best shrimp Po boy recipe will take 30 to 40 minutes, and you can serve it to your guests or family.
In this article, I will share the best shrimp Po boy recipe with you all to prepare at home.
Ingredients To Prepare Best Shrimp Po Boy Recipe
For Preparing Remoulade Sauce, You Need The Following Things.
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise sauce
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Horseradish
- 1 tbsp Minced garlic
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tbsp Hot sauce
- ½ tbsp Cayenne pepper
For Frying Shrimps, You Need The Following Things.
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- ⅛ tbsp Cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp Black pepper
- 1 pound Raw shrimp
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- Peanut oil
- 1 tbsp Hot sauce
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- Salt according to taste
For Assembling Po Boy, You Need The Following Things
- Po boy bread
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickles (optional)
How To Prepare Best Fried Shrimp Po Boy Recipe?
Prepare Remoulade Sauce
- A Po boy shrimp sandwich recipe is incomplete without the remoulade sauce. The best part is you don't have to purchase this sauce from the market. Instead, you can easily make remoulade sauce at home.
- You need to mix all the ingredients listed above to make the remoulade sauce. Use a bowl, add all the ingredients and then whisk for at least three minutes with a spoon. You can either keep it aside, or you may refrigerate it. When the remoulade sauce is needed, remove it from the fridge and use it.
- Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, into a mixing bowl and whisk for at least one minute. Then divide the mixture into two equal parts.
- Clean the shrimp properly. If possible, wash it with cold water.
- Put the shrimp in a bowl. Then add one-half of the dry spice mixture on the shrimp. Coat the shrimp with the dry spices.
- Use a third bowl and put three-fourths cup of all-purpose flour,1 cup cornmeal, and then the other half of the dry spice mixture. Then whisk everything for at least two minutes.
- You need another bowl where you put half a cup of buttermilk and some hot sauce and whisk for one minute.
- Next, take a pan and heat the peanut oil. You can use other types of oil, but with peanut oil, the shrimps will be more crispy.
- Now take the shrimp one by one, dip it in the buttermilk mixture, then coat it with the flour mixture and finally fry the shrimp in the oil.
- Try until the shrimp becomes golden brown.
- Try to fry in batches so that all the shrimps will cook properly. Then keep it aside on paper towel so that it can absorb some of the excess oil.
- Remember, shrimps are the most vital ingredient of the Po boy recipe. Always put the coated shrimp when the oil is too hot. Again you should not put so many shrimps at a time for frying. If you don’t do the shrimps, it will have a rubbery texture until it becomes golden brown, which you may not like to eat.
Assembly: To assemble the Po boy, you have to do the following things.
- Slice the bread and spread some remoulade sauce.
- Add shredded lettuce, slices of tomato, and some fried shrimps.
- Serve right away and enjoy shrimp Po boy.
Frequently Answered Questions
#1. What Is Po boy?
Po boy is a sandwich in which seafood and some veggies are used as a filling.
#2. What Else Can I Serve Along With The Po Boy Sandwich?
You can serve hot sauce or beer along with a Po boy sandwich.
We all love to eat sandwiches. But the Po boy sandwich is something unique. The fried shrimps and remoulade sauce gives a kick to the Po boy sandwich.
You must have had this in restaurants. But you can easily make this recipe at home and have it as a main course for lunch or dinner. I am very sure that a Po boy sandwich is going to be present in your kitchen every summer.
I have shared all the ingredients and complete procedures on how to make the best Po boy recipe. Make sure the bread you will use for the Po boy sandwich is fresh and soft from the inside.
Share your experience of making a Po boy sandwich recipe at home – either comment below or send photographs!