Last Updated on 17th December 2021 by
Beef hash gained popularity in Europe and the US after the second world war when rationing came into effect, and the meat was not available. The word “hash” is derived from the French word “Hacher,” which means to chop. People created hash from chopped meat, onions, potatoes, and anything else that was available.
For the baby boomer generation, talking about the old-fashioned roast beef recipe can take many people back to their childhood memories. This dish will surely make you remember the stories your grandmother used to tell around the fire on those cold winter nights. It is also a dish that you can use when you need an easy-to-make, classic, and old-fashioned meal.
Today, I will share three recipes to make an old-fashioned roast beef hash that is sure to make your mouth water. First, we will discuss the recipe of old-fashioned roast beef with a recipe using leftover roast.
How To Make Old Fashioned Roasted Beef Hash Using Leftover Beef And Eggs
- Leftover roasted beef, shredded
- ½ cup reduced beef broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper as per your taste
- Take a pan, put some oil and let it heat until it gets heated.
- Add the peeled and cubed potatoes to it and saute them until they turn lightish brown.
- Now, add the chopped onion and finely chopped and cubed bell pepper to it and saute.
- In another pan, put the beef broth and add one tablespoon of cornstarch and mix it until it gets consistent and no lumps are left.
- Boil the beef broth until it gets reduced to half.
- Now, add the leftover roasted beef to the sauteed vegetables.
- Add a minced clove of garlic followed by the boiled reduced beef broth with cornstarch.
- Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Let it simmer until the leftover roasted beef soaks the salt.
- Make a classic omelet and serve the old-fashioned roast beef hash with the eggs.
How To Make Canned Roast Beef Hash
- 1 can of Roast Beef Hash
- 1 tbsp of butter
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of ground black pepper or any other spice you prefer
- Take a pan, add one tablespoon of butter to it and let it melt.
- Once the butter melts, add the canned beef
- Add half a tablespoon of salt and black pepper and mix it carefully.
- Let the mixer simmer for the next four minutes on medium flame.
Now, it is time to share the last but not the least baked roast beef hash recipe.
How To Make Baked Roast Beef Hash
This recipe is for those who want a healthier roasted beef hash but do not wish to fry it and bake it. Here is a recipe of your choice made to taste just like the memories. Here we will discuss the recipe of baked, roasted beef hash. Let’s start.
Baked Roast Beef Hash Recipe
- 2 large baking potatoes ( peeled and chopped)
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery
- 3 cups beef (cooked, chopped)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- 1 cup beef broth
- Turn the oven on and preheat it to 375 degrees.
- Now, let’s begin with greasing. Grease a two and a half quart shallow baking pan with butter.
- In a bowl, add the chopped potatoes, onion, bell pepper, chopped beef, followed by all the spices.
- Now add the beef broth and mix everything in the bowl well. Now pack the mixture into a cup and pack that in the greased baking pan.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil tightly and bake it for 30-45 minutes in the preheated oven.
We can conclude that it is very easy to make a roast beef hash with the least ingredients from these recipes. It can be made with leftover roasted beef or canned beef, and it can be easily clubbed with an omelet or a Tortilla or bread.
Roasted beef hash can be made by frying or baking, as shown in the above recipes. It’s your call which method you use. With this said, there are some tips that you can follow to make your roasted beef hash even tastier. These tips are included below :
- Using colorful bell peppers can make your dish look more beautiful.
- Adding gravy is a good option to make your roasted beef hash look and taste more.
I hope you liked our recipes and will give us the chance to serve you some amazing recipes in the best ways. For more amazing recipes of this kind, stay tuned to our page!
I'm Pauline, a retired patisserie chef, mother of four and now a full time food blogger! When i'm not cooking i love long walks, reading thriller novels and spending time with my grandkids. Head to my about me page to learn more about the woman behind the food! You can find my Facebook here