This homemade fresh guacamole recipe made with Haas avocados, which are the really dark-skinned avocados that look almost black. They are the only avocados for guacamole, because the green-skinned avocados are firmer fleshed and don’t mash as well.
- 3 Haas avocados
- 1 medium sized tomato
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ½ to 1 whole jalapeño, seeded and finely minced
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise and twist apart. Remove pit and discard. Scoop flesh out into a bowl.
- Mash avocado well with a potato masher or fork.
- Add onion, jalapeno to taste, and cilantro. Stir to blend.
- Cut lemon and lime in half and squeeze juice over guacamole. Stir well.
- Salt to taste.