Chicken wings were made famous by the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, around the year 1964. Of course, people had chicken and wings before that too, but the concept of wings with hot peppery sauce was introduced by Anchor Bar, and hence we all know what impact buffalo wings have had on the world.
Another such famous invention in wings is wings with Old Bay seasonings. These are also called Maryland wings because the manufacturers of Old Bay originally created this in Maryland. Originally, the seasoning was made to be used as seafood seasoning. It surprisingly goes well with chicken wings.
The time to make these vary from person to person, and what kind of recipe you follow. This recipe will take you roughly around 30-45 minutes. The only thing you will need is an
How to Make Old Bay Wings
- 3 pounds of chicken- flat, tips, and drumettes separated (or your preferred wings)
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Old Bay seasonings + plus more for dressings
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- Any one of these sauces (old bay hot sauce/ Worcestershire sauce/ apple cider vinegar)
- Your favorite dip sauce for wings
- Prepare your wings by patting them dry with paper towels.
- Prepare an oven tray with baking paper and line it with foil.
- In a small bowl, mix Old Bay, salt, and baking powder to rub on the wings.
- Toss the dry seasoning on the wings to evenly coat the wings. TIPS: You can directly cook the wings or keep them marinating for 8 hours overnight for a better taste.NOTE: The reason behind salting the chicken and cooling it overnight is that it dries the chicken skin, bringing crispness to the wings. Set the seasoned wings on the tray and keep some distance between them.
- Preheat the oven and set at 425 degrees.
- Bake it in the oven until brown and crisp, for about 30 to 45 minutes.TIPS: Don’t forget to flip the wings midway to ensure it is cooked on both sides. You can even start by cooking the wings in the bottom rack of the oven, and then after you flip them, you can shift them to the top rack. Shifting racks will ensure the wings are cooked properly from the inside and are crisp from the outside.
- Now that you have the chicken ready and cooked, it’s time to prepare the sauce to coat it over the wings.
- Combine melted butter, Old Bay hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or apple cider vinegar with your favorite paprika(optional).
- Now coat the wings with this sauce and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tips to How to Make Old Bay Wings Amazing
- You can make a brown butter version for this dish. Just melt your butter in a pan and heat it until the butter turns brown, be careful not to burn the butter. You can infuse the butter with rosemary and thyme flavor while melting and adding the seasoning and chicken.
- You can even try a sugar-glazed version. After the dry seasonings, add some sugar and put it in the oven, and the sugar will caramelize. Add the seasoned butter to balance the sweet flavor. You will find more such recipes if you search on how to make honey old bay wings sauce.
- You can try this seasoning with other chicken pieces too. This dry seasoning can be used for other dishes’ marination as well.
- You can serve this with celery and other veggies if you want.
- How to make good Old Bay wings buttery ? : You can make a complete pan version for this dish. This alternative is for those who don’t own an oven. Start with deep frying the wings(marinated) in the oil and cook until juicy. Then put some butter in a pan and add the seasoning to bring it to a boil. Once the sauce is thickened, add the fried chicken to it and serve hot.
- You can try different types of sauces with the wings. Just search how to make Old Bay sauce for wings.
- Here is how to make crispy old bay chicken wings. You coat the wings with flour with the Old Bay sauce and then bake/fry to make it crispy. You can give it an egg wash to make the color pretty and ensure that the flour mix sticks to the chicken.
- The grilled version tastes more smoky and enhanced. Instead of baking/frying, you can grill the wings. It makes it juicier.
- How to make old bay dry rub wings: Just mix salt, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, and some lime juice and rub it onto your chicken wings. You can now bake them, fry them or air fry them and thus you have your dry rub wings. You can serve these wings with some rice, or even a salad.
- If you want to make it a healthier version, you can air fry the Old Bay wings and then add the sauce.